Life raft vs inflatable

davidphillips

Visit site
I am going to do my first crossing of the channel at the end of this month (total of four people) and would appreciate advice as to whether I should hire a life raft or just take an inflatable dingy (eg Avon Redcrest). In the event of an emergency the inflatable would presumably offer the same amount of space as the liferaft but without the cover.

tomg

Visit site
Perhaps I'm too cautious but I would not cross the channel without a liferaft stowed so that it is almost instantly deployable. Although I agree that liferafts are far from perfect I think I would, in extremis, prefer to place my faith in a 'raft rather than a Redcrest, especially if there was any real weather out there. I say, hire a lifraft for the trip - and buy one if you go often.

G

I find that there are 3 ways to protect yourself...get a liferaft...get a dinghy and tow it..get a dinghy and out it in your deck.
I alwasy go for the latter...towing a dinghy slows me down too much and i don't need a liferaft just for crossing the channel.
Remember that 'real weather' doesn't just appear...it is usually alwasy forecast and if so what is anybody doing there anyway.

I fully inflate my dingy..turn it upside down...stow it on the foredeck and tie it down with quick release ties.

Of coures the best way is to make sure that another boat is always near. let me know when you are heading over as i'm going across myself this month.

G

In the UK bad weather is traditionally "forecast" after it has has started rather than before.

The point of the weather forecast is to give you a very accurate idea of what the weather is NOT going to do.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
I crossed with 4 people and hired a life raft. A dinghy is a transport, it is not life saving equipment.

Asking myself these questions I imagine the worst case scenario and ask myself whether I could explain to a coroner's court how people under my care had died through lack of the correct equipment.

On returning from Cherbourg we had THICK fog - and was very glad we had the liferaft with us.

Roger Holden