'Lecky dreckly

pvb

Visit site
I'm intrigued by Mr Calder's claim that the alternator has twice the efficiency of standard alternators!

I wonder what he got paid for the videos?

RupertW

Visit site
If there really is some smart electronics there which will vary the load based on input fuel consumption of the engine at different rpm and match that to it's 48v bank then I can see some considerable efficiencies compared to a standard alternator with nothing smart in the system.

pvb

Visit site
If there really is some smart electronics there which will vary the load based on input fuel consumption of the engine at different rpm and match that to it's 48v bank then I can see some considerable efficiencies compared to a standard alternator with nothing smart in the system.

The typical efficiency of an ordinary modern automotive alternator is 70-80%. It's hard to see how the Integrel alternator can be twice as efficient as that...

lw395

Visit site
The typical efficiency of an ordinary modern automotive alternator is 70-80%. It's hard to see how the Integrel alternator can be twice as efficient as that...

Because you have to multiply it by the variable inefficiency of the diesel engine?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
9kw generator, that usually has a 3 cylinder diesel hanging off of it. So you connect that to the boats main engine and it doesn't affect performance.....hmmm.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
9kw generator, that usually has a 3 cylinder diesel hanging off of it. So you connect that to the boats main engine and it doesn't affect performance.....hmmm.

I presume the idea is that you run the engine at higher power than usual but keep the revs down by loading it heavily with the alternator. Does Mr Calder have experience as a laboratory scientist or is he wearing the white coat for other reasons?

pvb

Visit site
Snake oil!

Well, in fairness it isn't, it's a very complex (and expensive) solution which might just suit a few people. But in essence, it's only an alternator charging a battery bank which then runs an inverter. Many of us already run inverters (albeit smaller outputs) without the complexity of separate 48v alternators and dedicated 48v battery banks. It's a shame that the company feels the need to make silly claims about the system though.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Well, in fairness it isn't, it's a very complex (and expensive) solution which might just suit a few people. But in essence, it's only an alternator charging a battery bank which then runs an inverter. Many of us already run inverters (albeit smaller outputs) without the complexity of separate 48v alternators and dedicated 48v battery banks. It's a shame that the company feels the need to make silly claims about the system though.

Yes, sure. I appreciate the techie. bit, I was referring more to the presentation. Could add Smoke and Mirrors!