learning how to sail

Silvie

Visit site
My boyfriend, Karel, and I are looking for a skipper who wants to take us, two unexperienced sailers, on board of his sailing yacht for a couple of weeks/months. It doesn't realy matter where in the world it happens, as long as we learn how to sail properly and it doesn't cost us a lot of money. We're both handy people, experienced travellers and we speak several foreign languages. Hopefully we get some interesting reactions via this site. By the way: Karel is an excellent cook!

<hr width=100% size=1>Silvie<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Silvie on 19/03/2003 15:04 (server time).</FONT></P>

snowleopard

Visit site
no reason why you shouldn't get some crewing experience but you'll need to work at it. most people who take on crew do so because they need experienced people to help.

if you are to get crewing opportunities without being able to offer sailing skills you must offer some other reason for skippers to take you on. the following have been know to work:

offer to help with maintenance in return for sailing, especially dirty jobs like antifouling.

help out with driving to meet the boat when away from home port

be ready to go in case the skipper needs a crew at short notice

offer to pay for some of the costs of a cruise or to get the provisions while the skipper is travelling to the boat.

or anything else you can think of that would make you useful to the skipper.

good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

Silvie

Visit site
Dear Snowleopard
Thanks for the tips. We were reading your 'biography' on the site and it's obvious you know what you're talking about. As for the working on board: we're no lazy people and we do realize that you don't get anything for free. It's just not easy for people like us, who are not familiar with the sailing world, to find our way through the internet sailing jungle. Anyway, we keep on looking for the right solution.
Greets, Silvie & Karel

<hr width=100% size=1>Silvie

bogart

Visit site
hi, go to world cruising club.com , section for crewseekers, you will find what you are looking for there

<hr width=100% size=1>

richtravels

Visit site
my girlfriend and i are in the same position as you, try www.crewseekers.co.uk if all goes well it has found us passage to Brazil. Our soon to be skipper is still looking for crew to leave mid July. I have absolutly no sailing experiance so cannot recomend or garuntee anything but if you want to contact him yourselves write 2 me. richtravels@yahoo.co.uk

<hr width=100% size=1>