Leaky cockpit locker frame needs rebedding, Westerly Konsort, bolts spin

FairweatherDave

Visit site
So the lid of the cockpit locker hinges on a substantial grp frame which is nicely bolted to the cockpit. I think rainwater can easily make its way into the locker bilges, where it sits until the end of the season. Old knackered sealant has been in place but it looks like the perfect situation for butyl. But I cannot undo the bolts holding the frame, they spin. And when you open the locker and look inside behind it the nuts have been glassed over. Interested if anyone else has done the same job, my research has drawn a blank. The easy solution is an ugly bead of sikaflex along the top edge of the frame but I suspect I need to grind off the old fibreglassed nuts from the inside at the end of the season....

VicS

Visit site
So the lid of the cockpit locker hinges on a substantial grp frame which is nicely bolted to the cockpit. I think rainwater can easily make its way into the locker bilges, where it sits until the end of the season. Old knackered sealant has been in place but it looks like the perfect situation for butyl. But I cannot undo the bolts holding the frame, they spin. And when you open the locker and look inside behind it the nuts have been glassed over. Interested if anyone else has done the same job, my research has drawn a blank. The easy solution is an ugly bead of sikaflex along the top edge of the frame but I suspect I need to grind off the old fibreglassed nuts from the inside at the end of the season....
When I had to uncover some glassed over nuts in a Westerly I found that an old wood chisel chopped away the poorly impregnated glass mat easily and made a lot less mess than grinding would have done. I did not have a grinder available anyway.

Concerto

Visit site
All fittings fitted by Westerly were done before the deck was fixed in place. To ensure no leaks the deck was turned upside down and all nuts were glassed over. When the deck was fitted, the same was done to the deck join. It certainly worked well, but can be a pain for any repairs. On the plus side you can easily spot any fittings that were fitted later as they show the nuts and can reduce the number of places to find a leak.