Leaking Fluid from Steering Wheel Mount

ThreeQueens

Visit site
My Wellcraft 330 was leaking fluid from the steering wheel where it mounts to the boat when I took it out in the Winter. Does not seem to be the Helm there is no fluid inside the compartment under the steering wheel where the hoses connect.
Getting ready to work on it soon was hoping someone might have some knowledge on this. 2 seasons ago the the steering had some bumping sensation in the wheel when you turned sharp at moderate to high speeds. A friend of mine used some sort of automatic push pull apparatus that purges the old fluid and replaces it with new fluid. It took care of that problem and it steers smoothly but has been leaking ever since. I have a Sea Star Hydraulic Steering system. Researching the solution would be very thankful for any input.

kawasake

Visit site
Sounds like fluid has leaked out
Seal in the pump needs replacing
Then fill the system and bleed
That/those ‘Sea Star’ systems are pretty straight forward if your familiar with them
Most outboard dealers or boat yards will understand them
Lots of ‘You Tube ‘ info’ out there too
Good luck👍

oldgit

Visit site
Not a major job, hardest bit in our case was disconnection/reconnection of hydraulic pipes on steering pump body, as all were hidden up under helm with virtually no access.
Helm pump needs to removed and dismanted to be off to do any repairs.
Thelittle repair kit came with at least a dozen assorted "O" ring seals,f or those of us who do not posses an eidetic memory, good idea to take a camera phone picture at each stage of dismantling :)

Last edited: