Leaking deckjoint - alternative to quadrant?

tillergirl

Visit site
I have a leak starboard side under the quadrant covering the deck/cabinside joint. I am in process - slightly longer than anticipated - of removing the existing quadrant so I can have a look see. It is apparent that I shall have to renew the quadrant as the plugs are not coming out very cleanly so I was thinking about the replacement.

Obviously I can just repeat what is currently there. Get a new piece of quadrant, butyl mastic underneath and screw it back down. Option 1.

Then I thought perhaps butyl tape might be better than 'loose' mastic. One tape, say 2mm deep on the deck butted up to the cabin edge and a similar one on the cabin side butted up to the deck. Nice and simple to put in place, application of a consistent layer of butyl and simply screw the new quadrant onto the tape. Perhaps necessary to ensure the ends are properly sealed. Option 2.

Then I looked at the deck/gunn'le joint. My gunn'les are effectively an over wide top strake, half below the deckline and half above. I replaced these when I replaced the deck ten years or so ago. Deck is sapele marine ply, glassed over and the gunn'les are 1" iroko planks. To seal this joint I followed the West Brothers' advice in their manual and applied a fillet of epoxy suitably thickened the length of the joint. The result (touch wood) has been perfect. The fillet is still adhering perfectly and looks discreet. Why don't I use the same methodology for the cabin side. Option 3. There is the issue that the quadrant port side and forward is working fine and I would have to match those up some time. Plus there is also the issue that the deck/gunn'le fillet was applied to new wood which was perfectly dry in mid summer. Obviously the cabin side is ancient and has got damp (ok I'll let it dry out once the quadrant is off). Is the cabin/deck joint likely to have more movement than the deck/gunn'le joint and therefore might be more prone to failure?

Any comments, suggestions anyone?