Laying up for winter?

Rachelle

Visit site
Like a lot of you I've been calling around the various yards getting prices and working out the best options for lifting out for a couple of months. Made a decision and now thinking about the list of jobs to be done whilst she is out - usual stuff: anti-foul wondering whether we've bought the right stuff or will it peel/wear off within months; install recent purchases from SBS; list of jobs that have been ignored all season.

Got me to thinking about last winter (our first with this boat) and all the great sails we got in whilst the Solent was "quiet". Favourite group destination seemed to be The Folly - crisp day, lovely sunset, great food (even if I was given a lot of stick for not taking my oilys off until I got in the pub!)

What about you lot? - laying up and getting lots of jobs done or got a few favourite destinations in mind minus the summer crush?

Rach

PS. Don't feel too sorry for me missing out on the sailing, got a week booked in the Bay of Islands, NZ. Damned if I know when those jobs will get done!!

yoda

Visit site
I couldn't agree more. I hate taking the boat out for the winter as it seems to generate work and prevent sailing. Regretably this year I need to replace windows, engine stern gear, etc etc all of which leads to coming out. How I look forward to next year. Lovely quiet day on the Tamar today worth the effort of launching the dinghy!

Yoda

tome

www.google.co.uk
Not Laying up for winter

For the past few years I've taken to keeping our boat afloat with a quick haul out in the late spring, when the Easter launch rush is over and you can usually get a good rate. Winter sailing is great fun with a decent heater (Cowes New Years Eve was a highlight for us last year). It's also much cheaper for mooring fees.

I hate the boat being out, so try to get everything ready before hand. I don't really understand the need to dry the boat out during the winter months, and nobody has yet given me a good explanation why I should. Our insurance policy covers all year round with her never out of commission.

This year (new boat) there are some survey items I need to attend to so she's coming out for 5 days end of the month, at which time I'm fitting a PSS shaft seal, Stripper rope cutter (see thread) and servicing the engine and seacocks plus antifoul.

A must have for keeping her afloat is a de-humidifier with a heating cycle (stops it freezing up) which keeps everything nice and dry (bunk cushions, books etc) so it doesn't need taking ashore. Ours is fitted with an outlet pipe which bypasses the internal tank and drains overboard via the galley sink. I change the oil end of October and run up the engine at least every 2 weeks, motoring for 30-40 minutes against the mooring warps to give it some work to do. This saves winterising the engine. In the spring I change the oil and filters. A shore supply and charger keeps the batteries in good condition. When my wife is away on business, I spend the occasional cosy night on board reading yotty mags and listening to the radio whilst running up the heating, which should be done at least monthly to stop seals etc drying out. On such occasions I might uncork the Scotch to prevent the stopper seizing.

On our new boat we have a full cockpit cover which turns the area into a great workshop for overhauling rigging and servicing winches etc during the colder and wetter months.

Favourite destinations - almost anywhere as it's so nice and quiet. Not sure I'd recommend the Folly under it's present management, but maybe it's better during the winter.

bedouin

Visit site
We are, somewhat reluctantly. coming out this year - but not for a while yet. There are just too many jobs to do that will be easier out of the water with the mast down, but we aim to be out for 3 months at most.

Still time for some late Autumnal cruises in the Solent. The Master Builder used to be a favourite destination for the long winter evenings. Very cozy with the log fire and never too crowded. However that seems to be going off a bit (as does the Folly - see threads elsewhere).

SloopJohnB

Visit site
Re: Not Laying up for winter

Tell us about Cowes New Years Eve. Was it Cowes itself that was good or did you have a boat party. Been thinking about Newtown Creek on NYE for a quiet change.

tome

www.google.co.uk

Bit of both really. I phoned around first to see what was going on, mostly ticket only bashes but Folly told us we'd be welcome anyway so we were going to go there originally. Thought we'd call into the Yacht Haven for a stroll around Cowes first, and went into the Anchor for a couple of beers. It was open house, no tickets and very friendly so we decided to eat on board (Karen had prepared a stew ashore) and return later. Then we opened a bottle of champagne, revved up a little music, and started to dance around the boat (as one does). I don't remember quite how the evening finished but we never did get ashore again! Then again, we do enjoy each other's company and it was cold out.

Following morning there was a deep frost but brilliant sunshine and a lovely sailing breeze. We were laughing about the evening all the way home and decided we'd definitely do it again if the weather was reasonable.

I don't think there were any other visiting boats at the Yacht Haven, but the atmosphere in Cowes was really friendly - perhaps we'll try Yarmouth next time for a change.

SloopJohnB

Visit site

Sounds good. Persuaded SWMBO that it would be good on NYE at our marina and that there would be loads of people doing the same thing. Got there 10pmish - not a soul. Local pub dead as well. About 10 degrees of frost and the gas bottle ran out whilst I was making the bangers and mash to cheer us up!
SWMBO not amused. She's going to need some guarantees before she sets foot on board on NYE again.

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk

There's a chart one of the rags published some time ago that shows that GRP boats dry out acording to a curve. The rate is quite steep in the first few weeks after hauling and flattens out after about 6-8 weeks, so we go for around that length of time. We lift at the end of Jan and put back in late March, and also find thats about enough time to get everything done. With todays boats osmosis shouldn't be a real issue, but you never know.

tome

www.google.co.uk

Thanks for the information. The bit I don't understand is why its necessary to dry the hull when it's going back in the water once dry: it can't take 6-8 weeks to reach normal moisture levels once back in the water, surely?

I can see the sense in drying out in freezing climates, but in our temperate waters it puzzles me why we do it. Does it inhibit osmosis to dry the hull each year? Sorry to pose the questions but if you know any of the answers I'd be grateful for enlightenment.

Regards
Tom

tome

www.google.co.uk

Sorry to hear about your experience, sounds a bit unlucky. Are you sure the gas ran out? At such cold temperatures you have to give the bottle a good shake from time to time (as we did) to get anything out.

If you're planning to go out, why not go somewhere where you're assured of a friendly atmosphere in a nice pub with a warm fire?

SloopJohnB

Visit site

Tom,

Your quite right. Fiasco caused entirely by my (usual) sketchy passage plan ie assumption that marina would be full of celebrating boat owners. Compounded by failure to plan alternative destination and failure to replace spare gas bottle that I knew was empty but forgot to replace.
Dont know anything about Yarmouth on NYE but well worth Guy Fawkes celebs though - from what I remember!

John