Launching sites on the ‘proper’ upper Thames

neale

Visit site
Hi all.

I’ve explored the Thames from sea to Oxford a few times and would like to now see the bit between Oxford and Lechlade.

I have a small trailerable boat that I can use for this but need to find somewhere where I can launch it and, equally important, park my car and trailer for a few days. I would want to launch into the section being cruised and ideally at the lechlade end, although anywhere on this section would be good.

Does anyone know any suitable options?

Thanks in advance

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Eynsham marina possibly worth looking at but not sure if they have a slipway. I sort of prefer that part to the bit right at the top end. Its all great but gets a bit boring above Shifford.

Eynsham gives the option of running down to the outskirts of Oxford then turning around after port meadow.

neale

Visit site
There is a good book , UK Launching Sites , cheap and informative : Well worth bying I think

I do have a book, but it’s so hopelessly out of date that it can’t be relied on. Called something like “where to launch”. Can’t seem to find an updated version or anything called uk launching sites. Putting that into google send me down a space exploration route 😲

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I do have a book, but it’s so hopelessly out of date that it can’t be relied on. Called something like “where to launch”. Can’t seem to find an updated version or anything called uk launching sites. Putting that into google send me down a space exploration route 😲
Oh dear , I am not now upon the River Thames so maybe that recommended book requires updating somewhat ?

Maybe the Thames Conservency has info ,

Last time I was up river we came along side a large Green expanse of Parkland , necessary to adjust the Carbs , and a Landrover came up (on the land) sharpish and asked (demanded) to know what we were about , telling us to do what was needed and get on our way , sharpish !

Thought what an ungratefull lot them were

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
TC was defunct around 1976 if I remember right replaced by Thames Water.

This might help.

Boatlaunch

edit to add the actual web address as I hate it when they automatically underline the links

boatlaunch.co.uk/

Never used the site myself as have never had a trailer but it might be a useful guide.

CJL

Visit site
We have been using Boatlaunch for a number of years and not had any dramas. If you do find any errors, you can update it yourself.

CJL