Lanolin

ngiffin

Visit site
Rod Evans asked in PBP Mar 2005 for supplier of thick lanolin. Ambassador Marine of Winchester ,tel. no.01962 775405 can supply Henleys propellor protector for £22.33 for a tub including postage. I am assured that it will keep a prop clear of weed for Six months. It is easy to apply, lets hope it works!

Shanty

Visit site
I use anhydrous lanolin BP from Boots. Smear on the prop, and then use a heat gun to smooth it out - works a treat.
Can't remember how much it cost 'cos its years since I bought the current pot - strongly suspect it was a lot less than £22.33.

fishermantwo

Visit site
I have used lanolin on my prop on my fishing vessel and wasn't overly impressed. Flicking through old editions of PBO, came across an article about using stove black on props. The idea being to clean the prop up and get a good shine, then rub in several coats of this stove black. I've been contemplating giving it a go in a couple of weeks when I'm on the slips.

LORDNELSON

Visit site
Purchased "Hydrous Wool Fat" from local small chemist about 6 months ago. 500 grams cost about £8. Label says J. M. Loveridge plc, Southbrook Road, Southampton, SO15 1BH. Looks, smells and has the same effect on my hands (now very soft and smooth!) as lanolin.

VicMallows

Visit site
What? you can still get Stove-Black down there?

Have we been told a mistruth? I thought it was warm enough (at least this time of year) to just dive in and give the prop a clean. I'll soon be able to in the Solent. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Vic

scuby

Visit site
The lanolin used in engineering is anhydrous lanolin, ie the water has been removed. It is very difficult to find as most chemists source all their products from one of two or three wholesalers who don't stock. It is still available under the trade name Lanacote and Lanocote, as a tub of grease or a liquid, from a number of chandlers including this http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lanacote. I can thoroughly recommend it for many purposes including an anti-galling agent where similar metals are in contact. Unlike conventional grease where oil will separate from the filler making it useless lanalin tends to harden into a sticky wax.