Langston Harbour

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Stopped the night of the 10/11th in Langston Harbour where 10years ago I had once had a mooring.

Planned to pick up one of the bouys in the fairway outside the harbour masters office and pop ashore to the pub,stroll on the beach etc.

First problem ...none of the big yellow bouys have a pick up pendant so somehow one is supposed to get your own mooring line through a 1 inch hole in the swivel on the top of the bouy...anyway tried calling the HM.. no resonse but then saw the harbour patrol buzzing around, so chased him for a while and finally indicated to turn his VHF on.

This done I asked about anchoring as per instructions in Pilot book and was advised to try the north edge of the Langston channel but "watch out for the aggregate ships". Took a look and realised that this anchorage was about a mile from the nearest land so though 'sodit' Ill scoot back the Portsmouth at least I wont be run down in the night by the Donald Redford.

As it turned out on the way back out I noticed that just one of the ECA yellow bouys had a pendant on it so I grabbed it and thought "thats good", It was getting to 20:00 ish and I thought the Jet skiers would soon pack up and go home....

No Bl***dly chance, they were still out there using my boat as a turning point at 22:00 in the dark! Drunken camp followers on the beach et al...Harbour master had long gone home and even earlier on had shown no inclination to enforce the blattently disregarded 10kt speed limit.

What a naff place! All I can say is that at least it gathers many of these jet ski peasants into one area (more or less).

Nick.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather>http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
yes, langstone is like those jars of watery jam people use to catch wasps. every so often they pull out the plug and flush them all away.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
"Harbour master had long gone home and even earlier on had shown no inclination to enforce the blattently disregarded 10kt speed limit."

And only last year the local paper crowed about the new rib with 50hp that they had just got for catching those who break the limit....you didn't see it?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sergeant_Pepper

Visit site
Having just moved my boat from Cardiff to Langstone, I appreciate it's location as my journey from home to boat has been reduced from 2:20 to 00:45 but that's about it. Convenient for getting to the solent etc., but Southsea is a hole, the harbour is deviod of any character (a mud patch) and the jet skis are nasty.

For next year I will try somewhere new again!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Reap

Visit site
Not defending Langstone particularly nor critisising Castaway, however a mooring without a pick up buoy etc may be somewhat inconvenient and not very inviting by its owners, however picking one up is still pretty simple even if single handed.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>

Valiant18

Visit site
I've lived in Southsea and Cardiff. Southsea is not a hole. The area near the deep water moorings/marina is Eastney - again I would certainly not describe it as a hole but would accept that the council, housing association, university and hospital accommodation is not all that attractive.

Langstone Harbour itself contains a large nature reserve and the views towards Hayling are picturesque. It has a large sandbank (Sword Sands) where those able can dry out (except the jet skiers who are no doubt still drinking).

From the marina/moorings you are out of the harbour and away from the jet skiers quickly - then all you have to contend with are the 1000's of yachts, sunseekers, ferries, ships, aircraft carriers, fast cats, hovercrafts..........

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sergeant_Pepper

Visit site
Re: Langston Harbour vs. The West Country!

I haven't lived in either place but I have sailed out of both. So, in a general (and hghly arbitrary) comparison of UK South Coast destinations I think it's fair to say that both Cardiff and Southsea (particularly) would lose in a battle of beauty against any harbour in the West country and even loses against that budget tourist hell hole called Torquay (the excellent yacht club there notwithstanding).

What does Southsea Marina / Langstone have?

- Access +/- 3 hrs ...
- A shop two miles up the road ...
- Harbour dues (don't pay)
- A fierce tidal ebb (5KTS +) @ hw+2 onwards
- Jetskis ...
- More jetskis ...
- Marina bar which refuses dogs even on their patio ...

BUT the folks who run Southsea marina are very polite, and very helpful so 10/10 on that score. And, for the South Coast, their rates could be worse. But the town itself is remarkable devoid of ... well, anything.

-

<hr width=100% size=1>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Hi Reap,

I am well aware that we keep on learning, and also, that as I sail mainly on my own, or with friends and family who know even less that I, that it is fairly important to aquire information from all sources.

So... How the hell do I pick up a mooring buoy, the shape and size of a domestic hot water cylinder, in a 36ft.. 10 tonne boat who's fore deck is 6ft above the water, whilst holding station in a 2kt current? All the while tring to thread my mooring line through a 1 or 2 inch eye on the top of the aforementioned buoy??. Single handed as usul of course..

By the way lassoeing (is that how you spell it?) is not an option!!

Yours eagerly awaiting. Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Hi Sarge

I had 1 year on Syon Lake Langston and then moved.. Try Wicor Marine at Fairham Portsmouth. Good well run yard.

Regds Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>

Reap

Visit site
Well castaway, firstly I would ask why is lassoeing not an option?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Well imagine the the buoy as about the size and shape of a hot water cylinder, with 4/5 of its self under the water and also lying at about 20 degrees from the vertical, (due to the stream). There is no way that one could drop a warp round that., (even if I was Roy Rogers and my boat was Trigger).

Regds Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: Langston Harbour Not changed much then

I have'nt been there for 25 years or more but then it was the sort of windsurfer club on the Eastern side with v/loud music pounding out all day and night.

As to the buoy. First lasso it with a bight of rope. Adjust so you can reach it and then thread two mooring lines through the ring and secure on board. Recover your lasso and adjust lines for comfort. Don't try to pick up the yellow buoy just hang of it.

<hr width=100% size=1>