Landing on the Eileans, Millport

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Does anyone know if landing is officially allowed on the Eileans in Millport? My young crew and a friend have just been aggressively turfed off the northern one by a group of people who appear to be having a bonfire there. We'll leave them alone, but I'm interested to know if anyone actually has the right to keep others off them.

We have made and seen landings in the past without problems.

Ardenfour

Visit site
Was on them once with my kids and no aggro - mind you, it was November and Millport was pretty much in hibernation. The smaller one was swarming with rats once the sun went down...

ShinyShoe

Visit site
Under Scottish Legislation you have free access if you row ashore AFAIK.

There may be an argument that it is their gardens. Not aware of a limit having been defined. I think the concept is that you mustn't unreasonably disturb the landowner's privacy.

I don't know the island but if you beach in a RIB right next to their Private Party - expect to be chased. If you row ashore as far from them as you can and keep yourself to yourself I think they may struggle to make a case. But then again - whats the point they look rather featureless...

JumbleDuck

Visit site
By thw way, dat was me sailing beside you this afternoon across to Skelmorlie

What a gentleman. You know, and I know, that you sailed "past" us and not "beside" us. I'm sorry I didn't realise it was you - I'd have said hello. We made it - just - into Kilchattan Bay on the next tack and then - just - into Millport Bay on the next one. Pretty close squeak both times.

Allypumba

Visit site
Millport's annual fireworks display was last night. There was a ton of fireworks and a bonfire on the North Island. Perhaps they were concerned for your safety with all the explosives lying around. I'm sure any other day would be fine :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Millport's annual fireworks display was last night. There was a ton of fireworks and a bonfire on the North Island. Perhaps they were concerned for your safety with all the explosives lying around. I'm sure any other day would be fine :)

Was it an official part of the display? The island fireworks seemed fairly puny compared to the ones on the pier - just a couple of multi-shot packs for amateur use, I think. Looked OK, though, as we were on the immediately adjacent mooring.

In any case, it was really quite unnecessary to drive two children off in tears. See thread on common courtesy ...

Last edited: