La Paz and worm

Ale

Visit site
I am thinking about purchasing a wooden classic yacht, presently on a mooring in La Paz, Mexico. She is quite cheap and apperas to be well equipped but a survey is going to cost 40% of her purchase price so I am tempted to forego a survey. my main concern is that she may suffer from worm infestation, can anyone tell me if this is a problem in the Gulf of Cortez/La Paz area?

Additionally, can anyone tell me the facilities in La Paz?

Thanks

Alex

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Ale on 05/02/2003 20:45 (server time).</FONT></P>

snowleopard

Visit site
teredo...

is always the big risk in tropical waters, particularly if the boat has been neglected and may have gaps in the antifoul

good news is that it should be easy to detect with a close inspection and a bradawl, question is: if you take the time and expense to travel there, are you prepared to walk away it it's in a bad way?

Gordonmc

Visit site
Before going out there it might be an idea to get an non-expert impression of the wetted area from a local diver.
A search on the PADI homepage will turn up the nearest divecentre... then its down to your personal negotiation skills.
My experience is that for the price of a bottle of tequila you could probably get a checkover, prod and even some pics.
Then spend the dosh on a flight.