Know of a steamer scarer lamp that runs on normal dry cells?

Amulet

www.flickr.com
I have bought a couple of handheld searchlights in my time which have been rechargable from mains or the boat 12 volt system. Since they are an emergency item, they never get any significant use, and even if I knew what the optimal charging regime for their batteries was, I doubt I'd have the discipline to follow it. Result is that after their first winter, the battery is dead and refuses to hold charge.

These days rechargable dry cells, such as Hybrid NiMH, are so good that I prefer to use them for eveything. I'd much rather have a handheld spotlight which could run on a dose of AA's (if necessary in a AA to D adaptor). Anyone know of one?

I tend to put these batteries in all battery driven equipment and cycle them when I replace ones in daily use. E.g., batteries go flat in the handheld VHF, put them in the charger, put fresh ones in the lifebelt lights, put the ones from the lifebelt lights in the radio. That way I never seem to have to buy batteries, and everything works.

alant

Visit site
I have bought a couple of handheld searchlights in my time which have been rechargable from mains or the boat 12 volt system. Since they are an emergency item, they never get any significant use, and even if I knew what the optimal charging regime for their batteries was, I doubt I'd have the discipline to follow it. Result is that after their first winter, the battery is dead and refuses to hold charge.

These days rechargable dry cells, such as Hybrid NiMH, are so good that I prefer to use them for eveything. I'd much rather have a handheld spotlight which could run on a dose of AA's (if necessary in a AA to D adaptor). Anyone know of one?

I tend to put these batteries in all battery driven equipment and cycle them when I replace ones in daily use. E.g., batteries go flat in the handheld VHF, put them in the charger, put fresh ones in the lifebelt lights, put the ones from the lifebelt lights in the radio. That way I never seem to have to buy batteries, and everything works.

Never seen a scared steamer yet!

Most that I've found myself close too, seem not to be aware of anything used to 'warn' em, including white flares/strong searchlights etc.

Poignard

Visit site
Never seen a scared steamer yet!

Most that I've found myself close too, seem not to be aware of anything used to 'warn' em, including white flares/strong searchlights etc.

The idea that there is some eagle-eyed lookout on the bridge wing with a pair of binoculars watching for yachts is a dream.

When I was in the MN it was a case of 'if it isn't on the radar it isn't there'!

The most dangerous time used to be 1200-1600 and 0000-0400 when the 2nd Officer was on watch and spending his time with scissors and glue pot doing chart corrections, with an occasional glance at the radar.

alant

Visit site
The idea that there is some eagle-eyed lookout on the bridge wing with a pair of binoculars watching for yachts is a dream.

When I was in the MN it was a case of 'if it isn't on the radar it isn't there'!

The most dangerous time used to be 1200-1600 and 0000-0400 when the 2nd Officer was on watch and spending his time with scissors and glue pot doing chart corrections, with an occasional glance at the radar.

Agreed.

I've been alone on the bridge of a 'small' survey vessel, day & night, doing no more than 2 knts, crossing the Ferman Belt shipping lanes in the Baltic, trying to manually steer +/- 3 metres, whilst monitoring AIS/Radar/VHF/etc, with a draught of 3.5 metres & expected to go straight into the beach - turning when sounder on 4-5 metres, towing several £squids worth of gear.

Oh, I forgot the bit about looking out of the windows to spot the Russian coaster missing me by about quarter mile.

Of course I would have spotted a yacht through the rain. :rolleyes:

noelex

Visit site
Wow ! First time I have won anything.
Err maybe on second thoughts I still haven’t won anything :)

Anyway I am sure you wont be disappointed the new torches are amazing.

srm

Visit site
I purchased a rechargable spotlight from Screwfix in 2003 - still works when required despite long periods of neglect and none use on the boat.

Only time I have used it to 'scare a steamer' was in the North Sea with a vesel overtaking on a converging course. Illuminated it at 1.5 miles, 1 mile, and 0.5 mile range. At 0.25 miles I was illuminating the inside of the wheelhouse. I was sailing solo and had been plotting him on radar but there was no one conscious on that bridge!

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Ever-Ready used to make a hand-lamp that ran on 2 x 6 volt lantern cells - I buy them whenever I see 'em at boot sales. The trick is to replace the lantern cells with a pair of 4 x D-cell adapters, then replace each D cell with a 2 x AA adapter, by courtesy of China via Ebay. Then to save buqqering about removing the batteries for recharging, simply run wires from the batteries to a connector fixed to the lamp's battery housing.

Of course, if you can find a supply of lantern cells - the ones with 2 curly spring connectors on top, you don't need to do anything more ....