Knightstone Harbour.

graham

Visit site
I havent been to knightstone for years preferring the peace and quiet of the River Axe. Thinking of going over tommorow afternoon to lean on the Dolphins and give the bottom a scrub on Wednesday.

Anyone been there recently that can confirm the dolphins are still in good order and not too much mud to paddle around in?

Headbone

Visit site
Fairly recently, well, 1957. We kept a boat there. Bottom was scoured down to stony mud. They used to move sand from the beach and dump it there. When the sand was washed away by the South circulating tide in Weston Bay, a treasure trove of all the coins dropped by the emmets was revealed.

When skint, my father and I would collect them and buy breakfast in Fortes just over the road.

graham

Visit site
Thanks for the up to date information Pete /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. We visited on Tuesday spent the night on the Dolphins then went around to the Axe on Wednesday . Bit too muddy for scrubbing the bottom (possible if you dont mind getting muddy.)but did some of it from the dinghy as Vega started to dry out.
018-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

We had a gentle spinnaker reach on the way over but a fresh NW hard on the nose coming back.

Headbone

Visit site
You're welcome. All my knowledge is of a similar vintage.

Your photographs are terrific, which is a lot more than one could say about the desperate black jointing to the top courses of Knightstone wall, and the new concrete steps --
oh dear.

Whoever is responsible should be shot and then interrogated harshly. Well down to Weston standards.

Best wishes, Pete Rigby

graham

Visit site
Hello Ken. Knightstone is at the north end of Weston Bay.It needs to be a spring tide to get in there and its no good in a Southerly wind .Other downside is noisy speed boats /jetskis launch from the slipway in great numbers .

PS Pete re the building work,theres a stainless steel gate at the top of the steps which clamps down into a beautifully made stainless frame to form part of the flood defence.Where its been fixed into the wall theres a 2 inch gap down the one side /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif