Kingfisher #7

tcm

Visit site
I've received yet another transmission from Kingfisher, and as before, a heavily edited version has since appeared on the official sites.

"All hell broke loose early this morning. A loud bang and grinding noises brought everyone up on deck to find that the mast had come down. A total mess, and time for sad reflection on what might have been. We’d all put our hearts and minds into this attempt, and just as we had begun to make inroads into the previous record, we’ve come to a full stop. The mast has snapped almost at the base, so that’s the end of that. At least nobody has been hurt. We’ve rigged a jury to limp along at 10knots with a safe but subdued crew towards Australia, probably Perth. Although this challenge is now at an end, it’s been a fantastic experience, and my longest ever trip.

We’ll all bring away some happy memories of an amazing few weeks. And hopefully, that won’t be all we’ll be taking away– since the boat will need a new mast, there’s every chance that I’ll be allowed to keep a special souvenir: it would be just great if I could keep the little area of the mast where I used my Leatherman to mark off each day with a little notch – 23 and counting. I asked one of the watch leaders about it, and they said it would probably be best to wait until I’m back in the UK before raising the issue with Ellen.

Preecy

G

Yes, this was very bad fortune for the project. What is it with these carbon fibre spars?
The Kingfisher 2 mast was a new one constructed by JVM Cherbourg under supervision of Neil Graham. It will be remembered that Orange (same boat previous mast), also nearly lost her mast on round world voyage and was subsequently dismasted in Mediterranean in 2002.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Leatherman

Preecy
Any chance of a bit of souvenir mast?
Which leatherman have you been using
Who was steering - hope it wasn't the Boss, be a bit of a sod if it turned out to be down to female driving.
Glad you are safe and we wish you God Speed to Perth where I think you should take a few weeks holiday to recover - we'll try and sort some accommodation with OldSaltOz or one of his Cobbers. (Slipped into the vernacular there, sorry Preecy - should have said friends) Can we organise to wire you some cash or are you OK?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Re: Leatherman

Get yourselves into Rosie O'Gradys pub once you get to Freemantle. Lovely Guinness and Kilkenny. Spent many a happy Sunday afternoon there and wish I was back again now.

And the sailing wasn't bad either . . .

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfm

Visit site
ROTFLMFO!

Preecy passes lesson 6 of his Materials Science module - the "notch sensitivity in composites" practical. Preecy 23 marks, Ellen nil.

<hr width=100% size=1>