Kemp round tube kicker on Sigma 362

hydrophylic

Visit site
Having removed and dismantled the probably original Kemp round tube kicker from our Sigma 362 the reason it was doing nothing is that there's nothing inside the tube. I'm guessing that someone has removed the gas strut rather than it was made without one?
From what I've read the strut would have run from end to end screwed into aluminium/plastic discs. If that's the case the strut would need to be 1530mm fully extended with a travel of 865mm. This is far longer than anything SGS can provide.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Piddy

Visit site
Sadly Marine Projects didn't fit the gas strut from new - no idea why but a lot of Moodys (including mine) are like this.

Just one of the many ways they used to keep the price down.

I have increased the purchase on my kicker as I found it was impossible to move once the sail was full. An extra block and another strop allows 16:1 which is adjustable in most conditions.

AquaholicM31

Visit site
If the kemp ones are the same as the selden ones which i believe they are then they didnt all come with the gas strut inside. Some were provided as just the tube.
To measure the travel properly put it on the boat and lower the boom to its lowestlikely setting, mark the tube and then raise it to its highest likely setting and mark again. The distance between the two will be your travel and i would be surprised if this is more that about 250-300mm. If it is more then your strut may be mounted too far aft on the boom.

hydrophylic

Visit site
Sadly Marine Projects didn't fit the gas strut from new - no idea why but a lot of Moodys (including mine) are like this.

Just one of the many ways they used to keep the price down.

Not sure I get that. The tubing is useless on it's own? Also, the tube assembly far outweighs the cost of a gas strut.

hydrophylic

Visit site
If the kemp ones are the same as the selden ones which i believe they are then they didnt all come with the gas strut inside. Some were provided as just the tube.
To measure the travel properly put it on the boat and lower the boom to its lowestlikely setting, mark the tube and then raise it to its highest likely setting and mark again. The distance between the two will be your travel and i would be surprised if this is more that about 250-300mm. If it is more then your strut may be mounted too far aft on the boom.

I'm sure you're right re the travel, but if I wanted to add a gas strut I'd have to find a very long one, extend one, or fit blockers inside the tube(s) to shorted the overall length.
Which has just given me an idea: some tubes had aluminium discs riveted in as a stop for the gas strut, I could shorten the required strut length by doing this at one or both ends.

kacecar

Visit site
I got a replacement gas strut for my own Sigma362 in 2016. Dismantling the vang unit (a standard one - by Kemp) was a challenge - I ended up removing the entire end fitting. After a bit of measuring and googling I bought a fixed force strut from Metrol Springs Ltd. in Northampton (they have a website and their own on-line shop - called "strutsdirect" I think). Their part number is F-SD03-250 (250mm stroke, 305mm tube, 550ml overall length, 10mm rod diameter, 21mm tube diameter) with a 1200n charge pressure. Although a 10mm rod it comes with M8 threaded ends so I fitted some M8 to M10 thread adapters. It all seems to work.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?494281-Sigma-362-boom-gas-strut#L48ZU3pjE5fmleSs.99

hydrophylic

Visit site
I got a replacement gas strut for my own Sigma362 in 2016. Dismantling the vang unit (a standard one - by Kemp) was a challenge - I ended up removing the entire end fitting. After a bit of measuring and googling I bought a fixed force strut from Metrol Springs Ltd. in Northampton (they have a website and their own on-line shop - called "strutsdirect" I think). Their part number is F-SD03-250 (250mm stroke, 305mm tube, 550ml overall length, 10mm rod diameter, 21mm tube diameter) with a 1200n charge pressure. Although a 10mm rod it comes with M8 threaded ends so I fitted some M8 to M10 thread adapters. It all seems to work.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?494281-Sigma-362-boom-gas-strut#L48ZU3pjE5fmleSs.99

Thanks for your help. As the original outer covers, mine anyway, are over 1.5m long extended, how did you fit a 550mm gas strut stable inside the covers?

hydrophylic

Visit site
I suspect they thought it looked better. It was a bit of a surprise the first time I lowered the boom....

Yes, for me too. Bit like having a nice car on the drive with no engine in it. Not a cheaply finished boat either - very strange.

I will put it right though.......................

neil1967

Visit site
The rod kicker will (should) support the boom and stop it hitting the deck/coachroof, even without the gas strut (ie it slides down to its lowest setting), so it provides some support, unlike a rope kicker. Adding a strut means that the boom will be naturally held higher, but can be compressed to lower if necessary. My Oyster 406 is set up this way. I may get round to adding a gas strut, but it's some way down the list....

elenya

Visit site
Hi

We have simply placed a length of plastic hose inside our kicker to allow the boom to sit at the correc height when not sailing. Hose fits snuggly in the larger tube.

kacecar

Visit site
How did you fit a 550mm gas strut stable inside the covers?

I'm afraid I can't remember. I'll see if I can find anything in my old notes. The problems I had dismantling it would indicate some sort of mounting on the cast end-fitting. Having struggled with disassembly I cheated when it came to putting it back together - I got a rigger to do it!