Kalamata, local knowledge please.

CatCouple

Visit site
We are making our way westabouts out from the eastern Med. We have arranged to have our personal processions and some spares delivered to Kalamata marina from UK by courier. I have just been told by kalamata marina that they cant now take our berth booking as they are full. Is the marina they only game in town? Are there restaurants with moorings or useable town quay? Tenable anchorage? A bit of local knowledge most welcome. Thanks.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We anchored in Petalidhion there is a small quay and I see you a cat so you may be able to get on to it if you you want to do is pick up you goods , surely kalamata can find you a berth for a few days ,
Or a bit further south there Koroni and there a quay there you will be able to use amount . the fishing boats

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Just east of the marina is a large harbour. If the marina has no space, it is possible to moor end on or alongside in the inner part of the harbour, which usually has plenty of space. However, I don't know what permissions or limits apply, since this area is normally reserved for commercial vessels. So you'll have to ask at the harbour master's office at the innermost part of the harbour.

Otherwise, your nearest safe place in all weather conditions is Pylos "marina" - unfinished and un-managed. Go alongside the inside of the outer quay, rafting up if necessary. Pylos has regular bus connections with Kalamata and Athens. Nikos, in the dive shop just above the marina entrance, is very helpful, and speaks voluble American.

All local possibilities are described in http://www.jimbsail.info/mediterranean/greece/south-peloponese, and you can use the Navionics maps pop-ups if you're logged in.

CatCouple

Visit site
Hi Jim it was based on your site that i chose Kalamata for crew and courier pick up from Athens. It was a bit of a surprise when they said no room. but I am wondering if I just turn up there may be some space?? Maybe they just dont take short term bookings in advance . Anyway thanks for advice both of you.

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
Just east of the marina is a large harbour. If the marina has no space, it is possible to moor end on or alongside in the inner part of the harbour, which usually has plenty of space. However, I don't know what permissions or limits apply, since this area is normally reserved for commercial vessels. So you'll have to ask at the harbour master's office at the innermost part of the harbour.

Otherwise, your nearest safe place in all weather conditions is Pylos "marina" - unfinished and un-managed. Go alongside the inside of the outer quay, rafting up if necessary. Pylos has regular bus connections with Kalamata and Athens. Nikos, in the dive shop just above the marina entrance, is very helpful, and speaks voluble American.

All local possibilities are described in http://www.jimbsail.info/mediterranean/greece/south-peloponese, and you can use the Navionics maps pop-ups if you're logged in.

It was a long time ago just after the aeroplane photos, when we entered that port .There was a guy on the quay offering to take lines ,then water, we thought" How very helpful" until he wanted to charge us about 700 euro for berthing fee and watering, it was very stressful as pp were involved and were not prepared to accept we were a family yacht and not a commercial ship, we managed to get away with 70 euro for water .