JW's Upgrades for 2016 - Anchoring

Hurricane

Visit site
Upgrades for 2016 - Anchoring

Following my thread on our Sardinian cruise this summer, we learned a lot of new things. We met lots of new faces and discovered how people run their boats differently to us and each other.

As a result, it opened up a whole new aspect of boating and at the same time highlighted deficiencies in the way that we do things at the moment.

In fact, during the season, we were able to make some subtle improvements to our equipment that meant we could push our skills a little further.

Next season, we want to be prepared and there need to be some changes. The main concept is to make our boating, in general, "more robust". So, a few "Upgrades" are now in the pipeline. We have a few other small things planned, but our upgrades for 2016 fall into two main categories. Anchoring and The Tender

This thread is about our Anchor Tackle.
Follow this link for the Tender Upgrade thread:-
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?441555-JW-s-Upgrades-for-2016-Tender&p=5463681#post5463681

JW was factory fitted with a 40Kg Delta anchor, connected to a 10mm chain and driven by a V4 Lewmar Windlass.
This combination has worked well for us apart from once stripping the gears in the Windlass' gearbox. We have only dragged once but we have also not been 100% confident when settling down for the night at anchor.
So, this year, we took advantage of the good pound/euro rates and replaced our 10mm chain and gipsy with 12mm. Although tempted to use stainless steel, I couldn't justify the huge difference in price. It is one thing having to dump your chain if it were to get stuck - it is an entirely different matter dumping an expensive stainless steel one.

Having said that, on one occasion in Sardinia this summer (with some encouragement and advice from MYAG), we tied back to the rocks and it all worked very nicely but in doing so, we had to deploy all of our 70m of chain.
So we bought 150m of 12mm chain to replace the 70m of 10mm.

On the way back from Sardinia ro Sant Carles in Spain, we spent about 3 weeks (mostly at anchor) in Menorca and Mallorca. The new chain has made a huge difference. In most cases, our rode now falls directly to the sea bed - it only took a few knots of wind to lift the old 10mm chain and start pulling directly on the anchor.

Here are a couple of pics of our tackle so far:-

DSC06476_Small_zpsoohnpyb9.jpg

DSC06477_Small_zps6tvqunf4.jpg

So, with new chain, we have started looking at other areas of our anchor tackle.

The Windlass

During August, we anchored a lot - sometimes just repositioning a few metres after the day trip boats had left. Throughout this, our "old faithful" V4 Windlass worked flawlessly. When recovering the anchor, we always "chase the rode" using the engines so that the windlass doesn't strain too much - it even says to do that in the Lewmar manuals. Having said that, I have always thought that we should carry a spare motor and gearbox for our V4.
Looking at the Lewmar catalogue, it indicates that a V4 is right at the top end for our size of boat. Apparently, the V5 is more suitable to our boat size. Lewmar's V5 is exactly the same size and should fit into the same holes on JW's foredeck. So at SIBS this year, I asked Lewmar the direct question. The answer is that the V4 and the V5 are exactly the same but the V5 has a bigger motor/gearbox combination. In an ideal world, a V6 would be a much better solution but it is a completely different design. I've looked at the holes that would be required in the deck and they don't line up with the ones already there. The deck would require more strengthening if a V6 were to be fitted. So, we have decided to simply fit a new V5 gearbox/motor combo and keep the old one as a spare.

To help the Windlass

If the anchor or chain were to get stuck, it makes sense to pull at it carefully with the engines. So we are going to install a chain lock that should enable us to quickly "lock off" the chain thus removing any strain from the windlass.

For example - this happened in Sardinia:-

GOPR0170_Small_zps9btt56fb.jpg

To free the chain, we left our anchor bridle attached and simply pulled sideways from the rock using the engines. We had someone in the water to watch - the chain just popped out.
Thanks to a friend on here pointing it out, I bought the chain lock from the "For Sale" forum on these forums. It is a beautiful piece of engineering that will fit just forward of the windlass.

AnCam
I spent 5 months on the boat this year.
Enjoyed every minute of it.
During the times when SWMBO was away and the weather too windy, I fitted an anchor camera and we used it a lot in the Baldricks on the way home.

DSC06690_Small_zps1eicq67i.jpg

These are some pics from AnCam

DSC06464_Small_zpsqhhb9xy1.jpg

AnCam even catches the Dolphins - this pic also shows some work in progress - A winter project to integrate a chain counter into the AnCam video stream.

IMG_7673_Small_zpsnnavkh2c.jpg

And here are a couple of video clip views from AnCam - working - anchor recovery.

The Anchor itself.

I have done a lot of research this summer. Diving and snorkelling round the various anchorages and searching the internet. Anchors and types of anchors are a very emotive subject. Every anchor has its supporters and opponents. Weight seems to be the only common factor that people agree on. The heavier the better. So, considering our success with our "mid range windlass" upgrading to a much heavier anchor will put increased stress on its motor/gearbox. So, a more technical approach to upgrade the anchor is necessary.
From my research, anchors fall into two categories - those that "plough" and those that "dig" - my words.
Most of our boats are fitted with Delta anchors. It seems to me that these anchors are good "middle of the road" solutions but they are essentially "plough" type anchors. Virtually every time that our anchor has set, it has taken 3 or 4 metres before it has "held". I say "held" but, in fact, it goes on ploughing even after it has set. In fact, it is my view that Delta anchors never actually set - they just plough less and less until they reach an equilibrium. The other forms of anchor tend to be more modern designs which "dig themselves in" rather than ploughing.

During August, we met up with a number of yachtie friends who use these new technical anchors and I was able to snorkel/dive and see how well each one worked. And, at the same time see how much our Delta had "ploughed" given the same seabed. Each owner, of course, thought his was the best but one modern type kept coming up in the conversations - The Rocna.

Have a look at this video - I know it has been produced by Rocna but I think you will find their tests interesting.
The interesting tests start at 2min50secs in

To cut a long story short, we've ordered a 55kg Rocna which will arrive here in Devon sometime this week. They say that you can upgrade your anchor by simply changing from a Delta to a Rocna of the same weight but we have chosen to go back to the design charts and select the correct recommended weight of Rocna. So 15kg heavier but a Rocna rather than a Delta.

I've done all the measurements and it should fit!!!

I'll post some pics when it arrives on it's pallet.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Great stuff Mike. I love the position of your AnCam :encouragement:

Did you get s/s or galvanised Rocna? To my mind there is no functional difference - it's only aesthetics. I do however thing s/s chain functions better - it flows like cream (as BartW described it) when it comes back into the locker, rather than forming a tall cone, but your anchor locker looks pretty deep so I expect this wont be a problem

Hurricane

Visit site
Great stuff Mike. I love the position of your AnCam :encouragement:

Did you get s/s or galvanised Rocna? To my mind there is no functional difference - it's only aesthetics. I do however thing s/s chain functions better - it flows like cream (as BartW described it) when it comes back into the locker, rather than forming a tall cone, but your anchor locker looks pretty deep so I expect this wont be a problem

Galvanised Rocna, I'm afraid - for the same reason as stated above - I would hate to leave an expensive stainless steel anchor on the seabed if it got stuck.

Yep - you are right stainless steel chain would have been better in the chain locker but SWMBO has been managing (when we are on our own) whilst we recover it.
Sometimes, when we have more people on board, she gets help and it is much easier.

The big difference though is the chain's gauge/size - even with the old Delta the whole anchoring experience is less stressful.
We "held off" 32 knot winds last month - IMO, mainly due to the extra chain weight.
See here

IMG_8056_Small_zpsufqndceu.jpg

BTW
That was another upgrade that we did this year.
A Bluetooth App that receives wind info from an anemometer on the top of JW's Radar Arch.
The device is by Navis - see here
http://www.navis-anemometers.com/

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

To cut a long story short, we've ordered a 55kg Rocna which will arrive here in Devon sometime this week. They say that you can upgrade your anchor by simply changing from a Delta to a Rocna of the same weight but we have chosen to go back to the design charts and select the correct recommended weight of Rocna. So 15kg heavier but a Rocna rather than a Delta.
Well we'll be able to compare notes then because I've got a 55kg Rocna on my winter to-do list to replace my 60kg Delta so I'm going to get a direct like for like comparison. Even at this weight there were a couple of times last season when we dragged the Delta in soft sand in N Sardinia although I have to say it performed excellently this season around CF. I'm hoping that the larger concave flukes of the Rocna hold even in the softer strata that the Delta tends to plough through but we'll see. No way I'd get stainless either; thats asking for it to get nicked IMHO

MrB

Visit site
Brilliant write up as usual, Baldricks is never going away lol. :cool::encouragement:

Hurricane

Visit site
Well we'll be able to compare notes then because I've got a 55kg Rocna on my winter to-do list to replace my 60kg Delta so I'm going to get a direct like for like comparison. Even at this weight there were a couple of times last season when we dragged the Delta in soft sand in N Sardinia although I have to say it performed excellently this season around CF. I'm hoping that the larger concave flukes of the Rocna hold even in the softer strata that the Delta tends to plough through but we'll see. No way I'd get stainless either; thats asking for it to get nicked IMHO

Have you seen this one?
http://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/en/

It was in the chandlers in Mallorca and at SIBS
I think they sponsor the "sand pit" demo pits.
Very pretty - but, again very nickable!!

I chose the Rocna because it is "tried and tested" and less than half the price of the Ultimate

jfm

Visit site
I love the Ultra anchors too Hurricane. I had one on a charter boat in Croatia and was very impressed with its performance

You're right about 12 vs 10mm chain. The weight is much more than 20% extra. 3.8 vs 2.3kg per metre. Put that into a real context/typical anchorage and 50 metres of 12mm weighs 190kg while 50metres of 10mm weighs only 115kg

rwoofer

Visit site
Heaving done a move from Delta to Rocna and a Spade on different boats I would not go back to any of the plough anchors. The extra security definitely helps you sleep in difficult conditions!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Have you seen this one?
http://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/en/

It was in the chandlers in Mallorca and at SIBS
I think they sponsor the "sand pit" demo pits.
Very pretty - but, again very nickable!!

I chose the Rocna because it is "tried and tested" and less than half the price of the Ultimate
Yep I saw the Ultra at Dusseldorf this year but as you say it is a shed load of money and I'd be too worried about losing it. The other 'modern' anchor supposedly worth looking at is the Manson Supreme http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/SitePages/Supreme.htm.

Apart from the blip that Rocna had when they started manufacturing in China I read nothing but good things about it's performance and the price is reasonable so IMHO its worth making the change

Agree with jfm. The move from 10mm to 12mm chain will greatly improve your anchoring security and the winch upgrade is a wise move

benjenbav

Visit site
Slightly off-piste, but I was puzzled at not being able to see the bitter end of the lines on either of the cleats in the pic below. Could you enlighten me, please? - I thought they were bridles at first, but can see the anchor. So, obviously, the warps are there for some other purpose.

DSC06476_Small_zpsoohnpyb9.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
They're ground lines BJB. You don't normally pull the bitter end up onto the deck - you leave it dangling, as it is usually too much clobber to haul on deck, and it's dirty, and it's attached to the lazy line. (Indeed, in a few marinas like cala dor there is no separate lazy line and a single length of rope forms the ground line and the lazy line so it is impossible to pull in the bitter and because it is tied to the quay)

benjenbav

Visit site
They're ground lines BJB. You don't normally pull the bitter end up onto the deck - you leave it dangling, as it is usually too much clobber to haul on deck, and it's dirty, and it's attached to the lazy line. (Indeed, in a few marinas like cala dor there is no separate lazy line and a single length of rope forms the ground line and the lazy line so it is impossible to pull in the bitter and because it is tied to the quay)

Thanks. I need a course in Med mooring, I think. Good to see Hurricane has the traditional "last-resort" line looped around the capstan. I have always been a believer in that despite it's being a bit belt-and-bracey.

Hurricane

Visit site
Thanks. I need a course in Med mooring, I think. Good to see Hurricane has the traditional "last-resort" line looped around the capstan. I have always been a believer in that despite it's being a bit belt-and-bracey.

Yep - JFM answered your question.
Also note the bits of tape - 1 round the lazy line and one stuck to the deck/gunwale.
When returning to a berth, SWMBO lines the two bits of tape up and we winch back to the quay in exactly the same place that we left it.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yep - JFM answered your question.
Also note the bits of tape - 1 round the lazy line and one stuck to the deck/gunwale.
When returning to a berth, SWMBO lines the two bits of tape up and we winch back to the quay in exactly the same place that we left it.
Yup I do the same except I put a cable tie around the rope to indicate its correct position

jfm

Visit site
...one stuck to the deck/gunwale.
...lines the two bits of tape up ...
Tee hee Mike! The tape on the boat (as opposed to on the rope) is quite something! You could just line up the tape on the rope with the fairlead or something - this doesn't have to be done to millimetres and then there's the whole topic of yellow tape parallax error!. But whatever works is good! :D:D:D:encouragement:

jfm

Visit site
Yup I do the same except I put a cable tie around the rope to indicate its correct position
OK on home berth but isn't it annoying when visitors do that to your ropes or your owned berth?! Or, er, is it just me? :D (The marina gives me a statement of the names of boats that used my berth so I can hunt them down!)

BartW

www.amptec.be
we also use tape,
the tape is in such a position so that:

when we are onboard, we (she) pull the lines so that the tape has passed through the fairlead, (somewhere in that region +/-20cm)
stern lines are / can than be tightened so that the passerel is in line with the quay

when we leave the boat alone for longer periods, or when we are onboard and expect a strong Bura, (N-NE wind)
we want the boat / swim platform, at further distance from the quay,
for that position we first pull the bow lines so that the tape is somewhere near the cleath, before we tighten the sternlines with the stern winches (there are 2 since last winter ;-) )
In that position, the paserel is at about 50cm from the quay, the platform at a bit more than 1m

I don't like ty-raps on the bowlines, they can hurt a crew members hands when pulling the ropes

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Tee hee Mike! The tape on the boat (as opposed to on the rope) is quite something! You could just line up the tape on the rope with the fairlead or something - this doesn't have to be done to millimetres and then there's the whole topic of yellow tape parallax error!. But whatever works is good! :D:D:D:encouragement:
There speaks a man with a crew;) Very few SWMBOs know what a fairlead is so 'line up the tape with the fairlead, dear' would be met with blank looks on most boats and the conversation would probably end with 'do it yourself then!'

D

Deleted User YDKXO

OK on home berth but isn't it annoying when visitors do that to your ropes or your owned berth?! Or, er, is it just me? :D (The marina gives me a statement of the names of boats that used my berth so I can hunt them down!)
Rest assured, I wouldn't dream of doing it on your berth, jfm! I have used tape in the past but everybody uses tape so often we have had a problem differentiating our tape from the last bloke's tape