Just how much water....

scozzy

Visit site
Can a dodgy stuffing box let in? I'm under no illusions it needs packing replaced after weekend but trip home on the motor for 4 hrs on the weekend has left bilge carrying alot! Enough to wonder of something worse ? Or just failed packing?
I'm talking several buckets worth over 4 hr trip

Boat comes out in a few weeks so I doubt I'll try and do something afloat just after any similar experience here for when I grab the toolbox ..cheers in advance

scozzy

Visit site
It's got one of those taps at the top of "greaser" tube so maybe not enough of a turn! It's definitely way worse under motor chugging along in a chop vs a lovely F3 beam reach for an hr or 2 ..

johnalison

Visit site
Maybe you could tighten the box. It's a long time since I had one but mine had a big nut round it that could be adjusted, though not too tight of course.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I can feel a change in pressure on my greaser so I turn it after every day to keep it topped up. Usually no more than 1/4 turn. 1 drip every few seconds is all you should have so perhaps the nut is loose or you need to replace the packing.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Just how much water can a dodgy stuffing box let in?
Really depends on the size of the hole in the hull less the diameter of the shaft, well you did ask.

If you have the space I'd consider replacing your stern gland with a Radice shaft seal when you get lifted out.

The constant drip from my old stuffing box was a pain in the büm; I'm a lot happier now I've fitted the Radice and the bilge is dry.

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
Have you checked it’s from the stuffing box. I say this as I had a huge leak when motoring and a little less when sailing. Eventually I put tiller pilot on and climbed in to the quarter berth to see why so much more when under power. Turn out id not fitted a cockpit drain properly at top. The faster the boat went the faster water backfilled up the pipe and filled my boat..one of my mad moments this year.

A stuffing box needs packing and importantly the nut threads cleaning so it can be adjusted and the lock nut tightened to secure in place. If they are looked after I wonder if there is anything better than a good old stuffing box.
Steveeasy

scozzy

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all,I'll be heading down tonight/tomorrow and investigate further, give the tap a few turns before a quick pizza in the motor to see what's what. Crane out in a few weeks so likely change packing etc along with other wintering jobs, cockpit drain fine,already checked that...

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback all,I'll be heading down tonight/tomorrow and investigate further, give the tap a few turns before a quick pizza in the motor to see what's what. Crane out in a few weeks so likely change packing etc along with other wintering jobs, cockpit drain fine,already checked that...
The grease is there to prevent water coming in when the boat is not being used. It gets washed out as you are running, hence the drips and why you screw down the greaser when you leave the boat. Leaks when running means packing neds adjusting or replacing.