Just coaster

veshengro

Visit site
Fred Everard..😄I almost joined one of his bigger ships, the Yellow Perils as they were known (Yellow hulls) like the Georgina V Everard, used to trade to the Med. But instead I joined the Luminence, London Rochester Trading Company, later known as Crescent Shipping. She was ex Dutch and a nice little ship. Later I spent a winter in a Collier, North East Coast, occasionally Scotland to the London River Power Stations. A hard life for a deep sea man used to sunshine...🥶

The Hudson Sound, Hudson Steamship Company. Learned a lot though, the old man was a great Seaman.

Wansworth

Visit site
Fred Everard..😄I almost joined one of his bigger ships, the Yellow Perils as they were known (Yellow hulls) like the Georgina V Everard, used to trade to the Med. But instead I joined the Luminence, London Rochester Trading Company, later known as Crescent Shipping. She was ex Dutch and a nice little ship. Later I spent a winter in a Collier, North East Coast, occasionally Scotland to the London River Power Stations. A hard life for a deep sea man used to sunshine...🥶

The Hudson Sound, Hudson Steamship Company. Learned a lot though, the old man was a great Seaman.
Yes used to come across the Rochester boats often……the Dutch coasters had more accomodation and further from the sea if I recall🙂

penfold

Visit site
:love: Happy memories. Smart little motor ships, but they killed the British coasting trade.
No, that was fair competition and the fit survived; coastal trading in the UK was mostly killed by govt subsidising road transport and leaving water transport to wither on the vine. High time that was corrected.

Wansworth

Visit site
No, that was fair competition and the fit survived; coastal trading in the UK was mostly killed by govt subsidising road transport and leaving water transport to wither on the vine. High time that was corrected.
Yes used to deliver two ship loads of coal from Goole to Gweek a year…….the job went to road transport…Late 1970s

veshengro

Visit site
Yes I agree, it was fair competition. The Dutch had the right ships and were willing to carry the cargoes that British coasting companies turned down because of profit margins., and I well remember the green British Road Services lorries too.
A long time ago now, but I think there was about 13 or 14 of us aboard the Collier, while a Dutchman had about half that number and the Skipper's wife was probably ship's Cook.