Jules Verne

Martin_Billings

Visit site
Since the various attempts are turning into a time trial how about some enterprising online yachting publication providing a rolling update service on the relative positions of Geronimo and Kingfisher?

tcm

Visit site
Pah! How about...accurately?

Fraid the recent ybw post is a colemanballs contestant:

"Geronimo, Olivier de Kersauson's 110ft trimaran is continuing to clock up the miles on her Jules Verne record attempt. In the last 24 hours she has covered 549 nautical miles at an average speed of 20 knots." Duh? if she's done 20 knots, that would be 480nm. If she's done 549 miles, then thats erm over 22knots.

Nonetheless, Deadweight Preecy continues to transmit onboard reports at the staggering rate of erm about 1 paragraph a day. The latest news is of course all about food. His food.

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Pah! How about...accurately?

Your maths is correct. 10/10, I would have thought they would exagerate, not play it down!!

tcm

Visit site
Re: Preecy

um , he hasn't exactly sent a lot of text in a week, and i'm not the only one to question the lack of verbiage. Without the YM/ybw connexion he wouldn't be there, would he? He shd send some chat, and not assume we allknow every single sailing term, know the names and cv of the team members, the layout of the boat, the jokes, how ellen runs the team, what the weather conditions are and blah blah blah. Come on. 2000 words a day shold be dead easy. Others manage it. NOT 1500 words a week, most of which were bleating about your toddler, and your hungriness, as per my parody.

tcm

Visit site
Re: Preecy- full story + pics please

well, okay. But we've already had the start (from which port was that then?) from the quay (describe that then please?) and then the off (when, how?) then going into plymouth- Oho - what chandlery did they use then? And was that Mayflower harbour? Or did a special bloke come out? Or wot? Then there's some decent description of the teethrattling bodyshattering boat movement at 30 knots.

Have a look at the sort of reports that were sent far more often on a rtw boat trip to "spirit-of-cardiff.co.uk" alright, the funding was crap, and they failed eventually, but the reporting was great, almost daily stuff. And we had slightly more interesting piccies than the preecy in the nav station taking another pic of himself to accompany text about himself, and his kids, and his lack of lunch.

Martin_Billings

Visit site
I liked the format used for the Volvo Ocean Race last year where on one screen view you could see position of each yacht, sog, vog, distance overall, distance since last plot etc and on a separate view a trace showing movement around the globe with various zoom in/out facilities. If I recall correctly this was updated at 6 hourly intervals.

I thought that this was a format which suited online reference without detracting from subsequent magazine articles. In fact, I would say that it increased my interest in the magazine articles about the event.