jubilee clips on the shaft

saltyrob

Visit site
Hi,

The shaft anoid became loose last season and caused a bit of damage to the p bracket and gelcoat.Is it advisable to fix a jubilee clip at either end of the anoid to avoid it slipping up or down in the event that it comes loose .

Many thanks

Rob

sailorman

Visit site
Hi,

The shaft anoid became loose last season and caused a bit of damage to the p bracket and gelcoat.Is it advisable to fix a jubilee clip at either end of the anoid to avoid it slipping up or down in the event that it comes loose .

Many thanks

Rob

no the clips will possibly cause balance problems.
fit one of mg duffs anodes with the steel inserts these dont fall off unlike the spherical ones + use locktite on the threads.
when you have tightened the 2 machine screws, tap both halves of the anode smartly with a hammer to bed them then re-tighten

http://www.mgduff.co.uk/leisure-craft/fitting-instructions/shaft-anodes.html

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
Better results by putting a heavy block against one half and hammer the other towards it. Or, as I do, use two hammers simultaneously, one in each hand. If you do this your anode will never loosen.

"Doesn't that hurt?" asked the junior Lieutenant. "No, sir," replied the sergeant, "Not if I keep my thumbs out of the way...."

theforeman

Visit site
2 jubilees is what i do.
i don`t think 2 jubilee clips on the shaft are either heavy enough or far enough from the spin centre to cause balance problems. i set mine up on the shaft with the screws opposite each other anyway.
never had any problems.

Skysail

Visit site
A small dab of antifoul on the screws and nut heads also helps to stop the anode eroding round the fastenings. That plus the advice above; never had a shaft anode come away. Zincsmart anodes have small copper inserts for a good contact with the shaft, also cheaper than Mr Duff.

contessaman

Visit site
Hi,

Many thanks

Rob

Never done it for shaft anode and never had one come loose. I do however fit a jubilee clip to my shaft inside the boat about 1 inch up from the stern gland. I have done this since I was a boy when a gentleman at my fathers yacht club stuck his boat in reverse only for the shaft to come out of its half coupling and disappear entirely out the back of the boat leaving a 1" hole below the water line! I suppose many yachts will have the rudder in the way to stop this but not all... anyways I'd rather a mangled stern gland than a hole. my shaft would have to go back about 2 feet to hit the spade rudder by which time its long since gone from the stern gland....

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
Jubilee clips on shaft anodes

I have put jubilee clips on for the last 20 years. I usually have 2 anodes - at the beginning of season/before launch one new and one old with a little left. I always use an epoxy blob to seal around each of the bolts so that there is little cathodic action around the securing bolt area and the anode then stays tight until there is almost nothing left. (And my prop still looks like new). Vibration, imbalance etc is never a problem. 2 blade props can however give an interesting effect, by definition, but that is something else.
Final tip - buy your anodes in France (or Canada where they come from) - usually about 50% cheaper than in UK, but get the size right!