Jilling about

Gryphon2

Visit site
Playing scrabble tonight with my wife I used "Jill" meaning to sail deliberately slowly. On trying to prove its meaning to her I found some rather different definitions and apart from on this august site was unable to find any use of it in the way I have always known. I shall be much more cautious using the term now in case people misinterpret what I have been up to.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Playing scrabble tonight with my wife I used "Jill" meaning to sail deliberately slowly. On trying to prove its meaning to her I found some rather different definitions and apart from on this august site was unable to find any use of it in the way I have always known. I shall be much more cautious using the term now in case people misinterpret what I have been up to.
Slowly and apparently aimlessly. It’s a thing, definitely. Itks the term we use to describe the sailing in between finshing one race and starting the next. Often with the jib backed, and the bucket in use. We have an electric bilge pump…

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Just checked and there seems to be another definition for Jilling but Jill seems safer. Probably best not to try that one in Scrabble then explain to your wife that it is a well known term and you can't understand why she pretends otherwise. :D:D

Think I'll stop saying Jilling around when sailing. I'd never thought to look up the definition before.

Last edited:

oilybilge

Visit site
Next time wave a copy of WE DIDN'T MEAN TO GO TO SEA at her. The chap at the beginning spends a lot of time jilling about outside Harwich.

I don't think Arthur Ransome ever used the word in the second sense.

Juan Twothree

Visit site

"Jill" is also a female ferret.

johnalison

Visit site
I also use it to mean a kind of aimless pottering. I have an urge to spell it ‘gill’ but don’t know if this is authentic.

dancrane

Visit site
Next time wave a copy of WE DIDN'T MEAN TO GO TO SEA at her. The chap at the beginning spends a lot of time jilling about outside Harwich.

I don't think Arthur Ransome ever used the word in the second sense.
Well remembered! I'd like to think that would have stirred in my memory, but it didn't.

53758179534_3ac8662f68_w.jpg