Jersey RNLI

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have not noticed any forum comments lately & as I am heading that way in the summer, I just wondered, that if I decide to run aground on some rocks, will there be a lifeboat available to come & watch me commit suicide?
Or are they all still arguing the toss, over who said what?

Keith-i

Visit site
RNLI is back on station and fully operational. The independent lifeboat is, I believe, still going through trials and trying to obtain approval to operate.

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Breaking news
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-47906482
'The Jersey Lifeboat Association (JLA) can now respond to emergencies at sea after it was granted official status.
Coastguards will now consider the JLA alongside the RNLI for search and rescue missions.'

Result, you will now have a competition to rescue you

Perhaps this model could be replicated elsewhere - sounds like a recipe for excellent life saving response times.

Daydream believer

Visit site
The services offered by the RNLI are generally free.
Can the same be said for the rival service? Or will I be presented with a bill?
Will it be a bit like, I believe the French operate, ie save lives for free, but towing one in a disputable emergency (I am running late for supper & ran out of fuel etc etc) can be subject to a large bill?

If it is a case of taking a tow before going on rocks could involve some fees, It may mean some people call late for help

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Breaking news
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-47906482
'The Jersey Lifeboat Association (JLA) can now respond to emergencies at sea after it was granted official status.
Coastguards will now consider the JLA alongside the RNLI for search and rescue missions.'

Result, you will now have a competition to rescue you

What they need is a catamaran rescue job with JLA in one wheelhouse, RNLI the other, yelling insults at each other all the way to rescues and back; it wouldn't make rescues any more efficient but would be great on youtube :)

lpdsn

Visit site
The services offered by the RNLI are generally free.
Can the same be said for the rival service? Or will I be presented with a bill?
Will it be a bit like, I believe the French operate, ie save lives for free, but towing one in a disputable emergency (I am running late for supper & ran out of fuel etc etc) can be subject to a large bill?

If it is a case of taking a tow before going on rocks could involve some fees, It may mean some people call late for help

Didn't the row start over the ex-RNLI cox'n towing a vessel for free? I'd suspect they aren't intending to charge for towing with their new service.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I see they have an old RNLI Tyne Class boat. I hope that in due course they'll get an SNSM Vedette which could be called out at the same time as the RNLI Tamar and test some of Sybarite's observations ...

Keith-i

Visit site
The RNLI have new crew whom I believe are all local. I think they only brought in a temporary crew from the UK whilst they recruited and trained locally.

I’m fairly sure the JLA will not charge for rescues and will be funding their enterprise through donations. There is a lot of support for both outfits so I imagine there will be enough cash short term although clearly the RNLI have far greater reserves if needed.

There is a rumour that the RNLI vessel could go out to a shout in astern and get there ahead of the JLA going forward!