Jefa tiller head

RadiumRob

Visit site
I'm contemplating replacing the worn upper rudder bearing and tiller head on my First 325 with a Jefa self-aligning bearing and tiller head.

The Jefa head comprises a bronze block that clamps onto the 40mm top section of the shaft. The original has a similar block but also a S/S key that fits rather loosely into a shallow keyway milled into the shaft. The Jefa system is used extensively, presumably without problems. Has anyone any experience of replacing a keyed block with keyless?

Thanks

scottie

Visit site
No I don’t have the experience you ask about but two points that I do see regarding the question are one this is the way shaft couplings have gone with mostly satisfactory result but it is essential that the clamping bolt is tight to avoid slipping and what is the rudder assembly hanging on ?
The Jeffa system which I am familiar with is a wheel steering unit which has a non split boss at the top which has a bolt through the shaft !

RadiumRob

Visit site
Thanks.

The rudder is supported by the bronze block which sits upon the bearing flange (there's a delrin washer between them). I'm minded to fit the optional locking ring that is held by grub screws that are screwed into shallow holes you have to drill in the shaft and adds another layer of support.