JEANNEAU SUN ODYSSEY STEERING

jonytboy

Visit site
HI all,

New to forum, looks like will be very valuable in my situation.

I've bought Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42 1991 and am working through the main issues in it.

The most pressing of these is the lack of steering (other than the emergency tiller)

In unsure as to why, but the original Binickle and wheel have been lost and on board is a second hand wheel and Binickle. I havent looked under the cockpit floor yet as its patched up but I'm assuming it was a hydrolic system as the one supplied appears to be.

The mechanism above the rudder is all looking good and intact.

I'm looking for advice of any kind that can help me restore the steering to wheel. I'm aware of the Jeffa Systems and the Vertus ones that may end up being the best solution.

For this, I would need to get the rudder measurements (my boat is not near me at present) to work out the rudder torque.

Any help, experience of similar etc greatly appreciated

Tranona

Visit site
If it is hydraulic then it will probably be Vetus. However unlikely that the original would have been hydraulic. Almost certainly it would have been cable steering. The photos of the boat show a pedestal typically used for cable steering systems. It could have been made by Whitlock (now Lewmar) or a French manufacturer such as Solimar or Goiot. For cable steering the rudder shaft will have a quadrant on it to take the cables.

Hydraulic steering would not suit the boat so suggest you look at Lewmar who make the type of steering that would have been fitted originally.

jonytboy

Visit site
Brilliant thanks for the reply. I've contacted Lewmar earlier today to see if they can help (as my further enquiries had lead there). There's definately no quadrant, but of course it doesn't mean it didn't have one.....it may well have ended up where the original wheel etc went.

jonytboy

Visit site
Also, if anyone has rudder measurements and stock size (I think it's 50mm) that would be great.

You said hydrolic would not be suitable, could you tell me why?

Thanks again, Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
Lack of "feel" and feedback from the rudder. More commonly used on motorsailers or boats where running cables to the steering position is difficult. Boats like yours are designed around the superior cable (or sometimes rod) steering.

Sandy

Visit site
I have a Vertus hydraulic system in my 10.10 metre boat, never had an issue with it (the 30 metre 105 tonne boat I crew on also has one). The lack of 'feedback' did take a bit of getting used to as I moved from a tiller. I can now steer with one finger or toe (if I really wanted). Steering is now it is just 'point and go' while keeping an eye on either the rudder stock or the rudder position indicator to see how bad your sail trim is. I find I can hand steer for much, much longer.

jonytboy

Visit site
That's great info thanks.

If anyone has the following info before I go to the boat might save me a few weeks! Long shot I know.

• Rudder Height
  • Rudder Width
  • Rudder balance point (distance in width where the tiller intersects)
  • Maximum operating range in degrees either side.
Kind regards,

Jonathan

dankilb

Visit site
We’ve got a 1989 of the same model (then the Voyage - but very few major changes AFAIK).

Factory fit steering on ours was a Solimar rack-pinion and tie rod link steering: SOLIMAR Rack and pinion steering system - Rotating torque tube & bevelhead systems - Solimar - PDF Catalogs | Documentation | Boating Brochures

Ours was pretty knackered and is currently is pieces undergoing pretty major repair. It might be that the previous owner of yours gave up with it.

Never seen hydraulic steering as original on those (any?) Jens. No reason it wouldn’t work as a replacement.

Boat is in the water so can’t help on rudder measurements. Ours is also a partial skeg hung rudder which I think they did away with for a balanced spade on later SOs sometime in the 1990s.

Sounds like a big project! Ours was neglected for 5 years on the hard when we bought it. 4 years later we’re still working on it and yet to sail her (funnily enough with steering in pieces at the moment!).

Big boats can = huge projects!

jonytboy

Visit site
Thanks that's very helpful. It makes a little more sense now as to why there is nothing left. I think the rack and pinion description rings true with why I was told it had been removed.

In regards the hydrolic system, I've got a bit further with this and it appears pretty straight forward. Vertus is the manufacturer and you can get a steering pump for the wheel, which connects to 2x hydrolic hoses that run to a ram, this then connects to the rudder skeg by means of a clamp type thing.

As previous reply mentioned downside is no feedback.

Thanks once again.

Jonathan