Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40

30boat

N/A
Visit site
A gem of a boat.Quite fast,and a joy to sail.Strongly built so don't have any structural issues.The interior layout is good with a well sized chart table and a good galley.Too many berths (11) but some can be converted to storage or shelves.I'd buy one if I were looking to upgrade.Certainly much better than the current crop.

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
Owned one (lift keel sloop version) for a couple of years. Generally pleased with it, main needed early reefing. Decks are balsa cored, watch for seepage into core around deck fittings.
If it has the Perkins 4.108 then usual oil leakage problems. Also, the P-bracket on the shaft needed re-glassing/strengthening. Can't compare it with later stuff as haven't tried them.
I did like it though, and they perform well (but then I'm not very demanding !)

jamesjermain

Visit site
Jeanneau and Beneteau generally produce boats to a good average standard but among the general uniformity both companies have produced the odd absolute gem, and In my opinion, the Sun Fizz 40 is one of them. Its very solidly built and, based on an offshore racing design by Briand, fast and beautifully mannered. She has a huge, flexible interior.

On the down side the interior is a little dark and she was designed at a time when it was usual to fit in as many bunks as possible - up to 11. But there are versions with fewer (eight is the least) and even then, the extras can be used usefully for stowage etc.

There are no serious problems with the construction other than those nowmal for boats of this age and type.

Sybarite

Visit site
Nearly had one at one stage. Lovely sailing boats. From 1985 onwards they incorporated kevlar and teak (as opposed to mahogany) in the construction.

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
Sailed one back to Poole from Mallorca for a friend. Lovely sailing boat. We got clobbered in winds 55-65 knots and large seas for 48 hours and the boat was brilliant.

Recently buddied up with a Sun Fizz round Almerimar - Menorca- Mallorca. Only ever saw the stern as he disappeared over the horizon leaving us in his wake!

If you are happy with the internal layout, then you will have a fine tough sailing boat. Can't comment on maintenance issues as I didn't sail it long enough to come across any -maybe 2000 miles in total.

Completely agree with the other comments made.

JonJon

Visit site
Only just seen your post. Still very pleased with mine. Mine is from 86. I am having osmosis treatment at the moment. This could have been exarcebated by mooring in fresh water for the last 12 months and she has been in the water continuously for the last 3 years.
Very roomy inside only criticism I would have is the fittings are not as solid and comfy as some of the more traditional designs but for the money she is great.
Yes the Perkins leaks oil a bit - but has never missed a beat certainly in the last 6 years.
If you want more info PM me.