Javlin Jacket...

TSB240

Visit site
I have too many holes and dabs of Antifouling and paint on my 35 year old jacket. Its still good very warm and original zip but a bit scruffy for an evening in the pub!

I have just had a look at this:-

http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/double-pile-jacket

Not quite the same! But I doubt I will need it to last another 35 years!

whitesix

Visit site
I stumbled upon this Forum when I was researching Javelin Fleeces. I am not a member of the sailing fraternity, but I have the very last Javelin Fleece made in Britain. It is the standard fleece in Red size XXL. I purchased it on 19 March 1999 and I heve never worn it. The Javelin fleece was the original in my opinion and was also a British product. Again, in my opinion it is a style icon.

afterpegassus

Visit site
I stumbled upon this Forum when I was researching Javelin Fleeces. I am not a member of the sailing fraternity, but I have the very last Javelin Fleece made in Britain. It is the standard fleece in Red size XXL. I purchased it on 19 March 1999 and I heve never worn it. The Javelin fleece was the original in my opinion and was also a British product. Again, in my opinion it is a style icon.

As stated in a much earlier post, Helly Hansen fleeces were about several years before Javelins were.
Hellys were however much more expensive as I recall and less hard wearing.

Seajet

Visit site
I bought several Javlin jackets for friends, the main thing I remember about the jackets - I was a boy then - was the adverts featured an attractive lady wearing one and little else ! :encouragement:

scotty123

Visit site
So who remembers javlin jackets... Probably only if you were into sailing in the 80's /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've still got mine just use it for old jobs. I stopped in amazement when i saw another chap wearing one at the weekend in chi marina. They were probably the first fleece coats... Do they still make them.... Are they making a come back...

So who on here had one or still wears one

I've still got mine, purple & in reasonable nick.

scotty123

Visit site
I bought several Javlin jackets for friends, the main thing I remember about the jackets - I was a boy then - was the adverts featured an attractive lady wearing one and little else ! :encouragement:

You bought expensive Javelin jackets for friends, when still a boy?
How much pocket money were you getting?

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I had a brand new one nicked from a peg in the Royal Cornwall Yacht Club one Friday night after racing. Lovely it was - bright red! I reckon it was the crew off a French boat on a mooring just off the club. Typical French trick! Now I live in the South of France and don't need a Javlin jacket but I'm just biding my time till I can get my revenge so be careful where you hang up your jackets in the SoF, I might be in the same bar! … :encouragement:

PeteThePirate

Visit site
So who remembers javlin jackets... Probably only if you were into sailing in the 80's /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've still got mine just use it for old jobs. I stopped in amazement when i saw another chap wearing one at the weekend in chi marina. They were probably the first fleece coats... Do they still make them.... Are they making a come back...

So who on here had one or still wears one
When serving in the Royal Navy Submarine Service in middle 70s through to the 90s, I had the usual roll neck white wooly pully and it served me well. However when we started conducting regular Cold War patrols in the Marginal Ice Zone and then further on up under the ice (including surfacing at the Pole) I needed something more substantial.
The Royal Navy Clearance Divers, who worked on our hull many times, recommended investing in a Javelin Jacket, they all had them, I think they were Pusser's issue (royal blue colour throughout) and they swore by them due to spending so much time sitting in an exposed RIB in winter.
I find a shop selling them in down town Barbican Marina, Plymouth. ten minutes later I have one, large (now it would be extra large) and on our next patrol I broke it out of its wrapping. It drew lots of praise from the lads and on returning from patrol most of the lads invested. At sea dress regulations were informal, whatever suited and worked best was the norm. One guy had a Tweed jacked with deerstalker hat, another his Newcastle United scarf and bobble hat.
I hail from Hereford, several of the lads from up the base (10 mins walk from my parent's house) wore them ashore (drinking in town) and they, like our CDs swore by them.
I can't remember when I last saw my Javelin jacket, did I give it away when I left the RN? I hope somebody is still wearing it. They were the forerunner of today's fleece jackets no doubt - AND they were designed to last.
There was none of the bobbling up on the outer surface because the jackets were finished in a tough outer skin. The fleece inside was luxurious and lovely and warm. AND most importantly, they came with a long collar, even under ice, electronic kit still has to be kept cool and the air conditioning on S&T class SSNs in the Sound Room is ferocious to say the least. A cold neck is horrible.
I used two sleeping bags under the ice - but that's another story!

Hewitt.k

Visit site
When serving in the Royal Navy Submarine Service in middle 70s through to the 90s, I had the usual roll neck white wooly pully and it served me well. However when we started conducting regular Cold War patrols in the Marginal Ice Zone and then further on up under the ice (including surfacing at the Pole) I needed something more substantial.
The Royal Navy Clearance Divers, who worked on our hull many times, recommended investing in a Javelin Jacket, they all had them, I think they were Pusser's issue (royal blue colour throughout) and they swore by them due to spending so much time sitting in an exposed RIB in winter.
I find a shop selling them in down town Barbican Marina, Plymouth. ten minutes later I have one, large (now it would be extra large) and on our next patrol I broke it out of its wrapping. It drew lots of praise from the lads and on returning from patrol most of the lads invested. At sea dress regulations were informal, whatever suited and worked best was the norm. One guy had a Tweed jacked with deerstalker hat, another his Newcastle United scarf and bobble hat.
I hail from Hereford, several of the lads from up the base (10 mins walk from my parent's house) wore them ashore (drinking in town) and they, like our CDs swore by them.
I can't remember when I last saw my Javelin jacket, did I give it away when I left the RN? I hope somebody is still wearing it. They were the forerunner of today's fleece jackets no doubt - AND they were designed to last.
There was none of the bobbling up on the outer surface because the jackets were finished in a tough outer skin. The fleece inside was luxurious and lovely and warm. AND most importantly, they came with a long collar, even under ice, electronic kit still has to be kept cool and the air conditioning on S&T class SSNs in the Sound Room is ferocious to say the least. A cold neck is horrible.
I used two sleeping bags under the ice - but that's another story!
Hi Pete, I read your article with interest. I have just acquired a Javlin 2 piece Red Xl Drysuit. do you know where I can find more information. is there any value in it? its in mint condition

Frogmogman

Visit site
Like everyone, I had a javlin jacket back in the day, but then Joe the tent (of Lymington Sail and tent Co, father of Pete Sanders), started knocking out jackets and oilies from a stylish French brand called Équinoxe. Pretty soon, everyone in Lymington was wearing them.

Here is a picture of Alain Colas sporting an équinoxe thermal jacket. I absolutely loved mine; had the oilies too. Seems like it’s a brand that has disappeared.

IMG_1363.jpeg

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I had what was affectionally known as a woolly bear an all in one romper type suit of the jacket material worn under a a membrane drysuit for diving also known as a dry bag except they often weren't dry that is. The folly bear was made by Javelin.

Stemar

Visit site
Many years ago, I sailed with a guy who had three Musto Snugs. One for best, one for messing about on board and one for antifouling and the like. As the best one got less than pristine, each was demoted and he got a new one. I was sufficiently impressed that when I found a half price one at a boat show, I grabbed it. It must be 15 years old now, and is less than pristine, but is definitely one of my better investments

nevis768

Visit site
Patagonia is the new Javelin, I've a very smart navy blue pile jacket which must cost £10 to make but cost 15 x that. Fortunately, for a poor pensioner it was a present.