jarrah

sammie

Visit site
hi am about to redeck my boat does anyone know how jarrah the tropical timber compares to teak in the way of duribility i know they look similar but is that as far as it goes. thanks

fishermantwo

Visit site
hi am about to redeck my boat does anyone know how jarrah the tropical timber compares to teak in the way of duribility i know they look similar but is that as far as it goes. thanks

Not too sure how Jarrah would go as a deck. Its used for planking on fishing vessels etc. Its a native wood from Western Australia, Perth region. It is used for polished floors in the housing industry but that's not the same as a yacht decking.

johnlilley

www.seasurveys.co.uk
Hi There
jarrah is very durable, used for some railway sleepers, but quite heavy & difficult to work merely because it is so dense. Not very interesting grain & a bit pink if not stained. Better for underwater structure where weight could be an advantage really. Might be a problem if using substantial amounts above waterline on deck for instance depending on the type of vessel.

Regards

John

tonijon

east coast can be found most weekends at the Black
Visit site
As the other guys have said Jarrah is very tough but be warned your saw will be only good for the bin after you have cut it and some wood yards will refuse to cut it.
Also it does tend to splinter so not good for bare feet. Teak would be better though prob much more expensive and a lot softer an alternative is Iroko which a friend has used as decking on his boat to good effect.

Alfie168

Visit site
Jarrah is used extensively on the replica of Captain Cook's ship Bark Endeavour which was built in Australia. What I can't tell you is which parts of the ship used it. ..Oh yes I can, I've found my blurb:D:D

Jarrah replaced Oak for the hull as it is far less susceptible to rot and marine borers. The original had Baltic Pine for the decks. The replica used Douglas fir or oregon for decks.

I imagine if you can work it OK it should be fine for a deck.

Tim

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
If you are in Oz the best stuff for decks in Australian white beech. Nothing like its European namesake. Better rot resistance than teak, slightly softer, and lighter. Works very nicely, pale in colour. Is golden yellow after sanding and weathers to a very silvery grey. There is a mob near Windsor in NSW who used to stock it in bulk, or Capron Marine in Brookvale in Sydney had it. About 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of teak.

It comes with all the sealing/varnishing issues that teak does. It is waxy rather than oily so getting a good bond with sealant or glue can be awkward. I stripped it off my 40 year old deck and it was in near new condition. The only problem had been the back nailing begining to come through and the subply delaminating. Lovelly timber.