Jackstays - lifespan thereof

claymore

Visit site
You just need to keep

Clipping on and having a good bounce off them. Count how many bounces it takes until the webbing frays thinner and thinner at the load point, keep watching as the stainless steel of your carbine hook begins to glint, pale at first then brighter as it eases steadily through the now useless webbing until that sublime micromoment when the last strands part and the pressure on your shoulders from your harness is no more. The carbine will describe a beautiful graceful arc as, released from its toil, it wings its way to the forepeak of your cranium - this will be followed by a mildly unpleasant feel at the back of your knees as your body takes flight over the guardrails. Tuck in your chin and remember to point your toes - more points are awarded for piking on entry - then as the waiting ocean envelopes you - you will know exactly when to replace your jackstays.
Hope this helps
Happy new year

regards
Claymore

SailingDoc

Visit site
I'd go along with that; I too have had Jimmy Green make me a new set and I've no intention of leaving them lying about in the sun - rig them when conditions suggest you might be needing your safety harness, otherwise keep them warm, dry and in the dark.
It's the angle of pull that dictates the required breaking-strain - and the associated shackles and anchorage points should have a similar spec.

Brian

jimi

Visit site
Re: You just need to keep

I'm still climbing with extenders that are .. ahem ... 15 years old ... but on the other hand they are not pernamently exposed to UV as jackstays are. I keep my jackstays pernamently rigged as its too much hassle to keep removing & rerigging. I'll be looking at LBS for replacement as I reckon 2 years is probably abvout enough to have an adequate safety margin. The nature of you're mooring will make a difference. ie how exposed is it to weather?

Jim