Jabsco toilet servicing

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
The toilets on our boat were not sucking in water - well, they would if you pulled off the inlet pipe and created a vacuum - bit messy and not great for guests. So bought the service kits at approx £25 each. I only needed the O-ring on the piston though and I have approached Jabsco and await their reply - in the meantime has anyone sourced just the O-rings?

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
The usual reason for the things not sucking are the valves at the top of the pump. They have a weight on the rubber flap. Are you sure they're in the right way round? There may be calcification around the seating preventing a seal.

There's also rumoured to be a feature in the service kits where the replacement self tapping screws are slightly too long thus preventing the top from sealing. I re-used the old screws. Don't over-tighten or you'll crack the thing. One had been replaced by a bolt on ours by the previous owner.

I'm considering replacing our Jabsco. It needs a new pump, seat and lid!

Gary007

Visit site
I think your better off installing the complete kit, as when one thing starts to go, the others tend to be going too.. (I also changed the inlet / outlet pipes.. Better to do it when the system is clean than to be up to your neck in it...

JKay

Visit site
mine didn't even have one fitted from new /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Jabsco did send a new valve and spring no charge /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Craig981

Visit site
appreciate that this is a massive bump. Our jabsco manual toilet is having issues and no longer flushing or filling on either option. There is lots if resistance from the handle. Does anyone have any ideas what might be up with it?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
First off, are the through hull valves properly open and are the through hull fitting not clogged with growth or mussels? If that isn’t the cause, then you’d do well to get a service kit and replace the serviceable items in the pump: the kit comes with comprehensive instructions as to how to remove the old parts and fit the new ones. Just make sure you buy the right kit for your model of toilet. If you’re in any doubt as to which model of toilet you’ve got and it looks quite long in the tooth, buying a complete replacement pump may be a sensible option and not all that expensive.

LiftyK

Visit site
When a pump is in working order but pumping is stiff, pouring a thimbleful of cooking oil down the pan and then pumping it through will transform pumping into a friction—free experience.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
As Duncan says, a restriction in the inlet side .... hose, seacock, valve in Jabsco head .... seems to be the most common reason for stiff pumping especially is the stiffness is on the upstroke on the "fill bowl" setting (and the handle wants to draw itself back down) but is free on the "empty bowl" setting.

Richard

ghostlymoron

Visit site
The toilets on our boat were not sucking in water - well, they would if you pulled off the inlet pipe and created a vacuum - bit messy and not great for guests. So bought the service kits at approx £25 each. I only needed the O-ring on the piston though and I have approached Jabsco and await their reply - in the meantime has anyone sourced just the O-rings?
O rings of all sizes are available widely from internet sellers. Just measure the OD and rubber size. They cost a few pence.

pvb

Visit site
As Duncan says, a restriction in the inlet side .... hose, seacock, valve in Jabsco head .... seems to be the most common reason for stiff pumping especially is the stiffness is on the upstroke on the "fill bowl" setting (and the handle wants to draw itself back down) but is free on the "empty bowl" setting.

It's the opposite. The upstroke pushes flush water into the bowl, the downstroke sucks flush water in through the inlet pipework.

johnalison

Visit site
Just occasionally, the pump will not function if the switch is not pushed across fully, but otherwise it works smoothly, or even squeakily, without much effort unless there is a blockage in the pipes or in the skippers brain and he has forgotten to open a seacock.