Jabsco not priming

mikegunn

Visit site
Something else for me to check on today.thank you m8.you could well be right as there is no seal on strainer but I will make 1 out of rubber mat I have down boat.i thought it just had to be tight enough to stop leaks.
It would be very unusual for you to witness a leak from the strainer, for two reasons;
Firstly, the strainer is at the highest point of the inlet side of the pump and certainly above the outside sea level.
Secondly, the pressure in the strainer’s chamber is always less than atmospheric when the engine’s running. That means that if there’s a leakage path it’ll be found by air, not water.
Mike

Daydream believer

Visit site
My pump failed due to the inner face wearing. I cleaned the paint off & turned it over & problem solved. I do not use the paper washer, but the blue gasket compound.

I once had a problem with it suddenly not working & I needed to get into the marina. I was on my own. I had tried filling the hose with a kettle but the water soon vanished before I could get on deck to the starter. It was windy & my solution was to lay the boat right over on its side (intake side) with the decks & cabin side awash & start the engine. It worked :p

I later made a new cover from a piece of brass sheet that I purchased, at 25% cost of a cover from Volvo, from a model shop. It does not have to be the same shape, so I cut it round, using a large hole saw with the centre drill removed. Then used the old cover as a jig to drill the bolt holes.

I used socket headed ss screws, so they are easier to remove in a seaway with the boat rolling about. The screws stick to the end of the screwdriver shaped allen key if one puts a bit of grease on the end & avoids them ending up in the bilge.

Last edited: