Jabco manual

Sarah-may

Visit site
Hi,
Our jabco manual toilet is emptying directly to the overflow outlet rather the tank. (The seacock outlet from the tank is open)
We have an anti-siphon between the toilet outlet and holding tank.

Any ideas on what’s going wrong/how to fix? Thanks!

Tranona

Visit site
Hi,
Our jabco manual toilet is emptying directly to the overflow outlet rather the tank. (The seacock outlet from the tank is open)
We have an anti-siphon between the toilet outlet and holding tank.

Any ideas on what’s going wrong/how to fix? Thanks!
Welcome.

Difficult to comment without knowing your plumbing layout and what you mean by "overflow outlet". Probably nothing to do with the toilet itself. As suggested some systems have a change over valve that allows you to direct the outlet to the tank or directly overboard. On others everything goes through the holding tank. There is not normally an antisyphon between the toilet and the tank as the tank itself should be vented. However if there is a direct path to the outlet, for example by closing the valve to the tank then an antisyphon could be fitted.

More details needed.

Sarah-may

Visit site
We don’t have a vent on the tank. The beige hose leaves from the top of the holding tank and goes to a through-hull above the water line (and I guess functions like a vent in that sense). When it was working if the seacock outlet at the bottom of the tank was closed, once the tank was full it would overflow out of that hose. Now it’s going out of that hose instead of the tank. We don’t have a change over valve….

Attachments

• A7DAED73-9B15-41F7-8ECF-FAFF6098263C.jpeg
    A7DAED73-9B15-41F7-8ECF-FAFF6098263C.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 10
  • E8508A1E-832E-4213-8490-B51CD33F2D68.jpeg
    E8508A1E-832E-4213-8490-B51CD33F2D68.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 10

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If you are emptying into the holding tank and waste is coming out of the breather vent, it's not an overflow vent although that is what seems to be happening. Your holding tank is full and if the discharge valve is open then it's blocked.
I may be spouting a load of shite though.

Sarah-may

Visit site
If you are emptying into the holding tank and waste is coming out of the breather vent, it's not an overflow vent although that is what seems to be happening. Your holding tank is full and if the discharge valve is open then it's blocked.
I may be spouting a load of shite though.
That’s what we thought but put a bung in the overflow through-hull (and discharge valve open) and could pump through no problems. One solution could be putting a manual shut off valve in the overflow outlet. So we could open it when the tank is full. But with a shut of valve it wouldn’t work as as a vent…
(Luckily we’re not spurting shit as we’re on a marina and shitting on land but we did realise we were spurting piss on the dock 🫣)

Sarah-may

Visit site
We don’t have a vent on the tank. The beige hose leaves from the top of the holding tank and goes to a through-hull above the water line (and I guess functions like a vent in that sense). When it was working if the seacock outlet at the bottom of the tank was closed, once the tank was full it would overflow out of that hose. Now it’s going out of that hose instead of the tank. We don’t have a change over valve….
Y
We don’t have a vent on the tank. The beige hose leaves from the top of the holding tank and goes to a through-hull above the water line (and I guess functions like a vent in that sense). When it was working if the seacock outlet at the bottom of the tank was closed, once the tank was full it would overflow out of that hose. Now it’s going out of that hose instead of the tank. We don’t have a change o
(the tank vent is the overflow pipe)

Sarah-may

Visit site
Fixed! For now. I think pumping it with the bung in the vent either pulled through a blockage somewhere or did something to the air pressure. Took the bung out and now it’s pumping though the tank and discharge seacock just fine. Thanks so much

RupertW

Visit site
If the overflow pipe is the way the waste goes unless bunged then it sounds like back pressure being stronger than the gravity drop to the discharge pipe. That implies the tank is full and the discharge pipe is partly blocked. Only when you use air pressure to force the discharge out does it work. So with a full holding tank I think it’s a yucky job of:
1) Forcing lots of clean water through the discharge
2) Taking the bung out to relieve pressure
3) Taking the discharge pipe off the seacock (when closed) and dealing with everything that comes out of the tank. I suspect not much will come out until you rod the pipe then the whole contents will cascade out so be prepared

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If the overflow pipe is the way the waste goes unless bunged then it sounds like back pressure being stronger than the gravity drop to the discharge pipe. That implies the tank is full and the discharge pipe is partly blocked. Only when you use air pressure to force the discharge out does it work. So with a full holding tank I think it’s a yucky job of:
1) Forcing lots of clean water through the discharge
2) Taking the bung out to relieve pressure
3) Taking the discharge pipe off the seacock (when closed) and dealing with everything that comes out of the tank. I suspect not much will come out until you rod the pipe then the whole contents will cascade out so be prepared

Hopefully the holding tank has an inspection hatch which could be opened to explore possible blockages before resorting to emptying the contents of the holding tank into the boat by taking of the discharge hose.
In the event that there is no inspection hatch, repeated flushing with clean water by back pressure using a bung in the breather pipe may eventually permanently clear the blockage as it seems to have done already.

RupertW

Visit site
Hopefully the holding tank has an inspection hatch which could be opened to explore possible blockages before resorting to emptying the contents of the holding tank into the boat by taking of the discharge hose.
In the event that there is no inspection hatch, repeated flushing with clean water by back pressure using a bung in the breather pipe may eventually permanently clear the blockage as it seems to have done already.
It would be good if so, but in my experience the pipe is the place most like to block especially if it hasn’t been changed for a year or two and is mostly limescale with a very small internal diameter. The advantage of using the inspection hatch would probably be emptying the tank from above to reduce the amount of waste that will come from the tank when the pipe is removed, so worth doing even if the blockage can’t be cleared.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It would be good if so, but in my experience the pipe is the place most like to block especially if it hasn’t been changed for a year or two and is mostly limescale with a very small internal diameter. The advantage of using the inspection hatch would probably be emptying the tank from above to reduce the amount of waste that will come from the tank when the pipe is removed, so worth doing even if the blockage can’t be cleared.
Gravity discharges are usually or at least in my limited experience straight vertical connections from tank to valve with relatively short runs of pipe, it should be possible if access is available to rod straight through enough to encourage the tank to drain.

RupertW

Visit site
Gravity discharges are usually or at least in my limited experience straight vertical connections from tank to valve with relatively short runs of pipe, it should be possible if access is available to rod straight through enough to encourage the tank to drain.
Alas not in my experience. Many of the big manufacturers make boats where the most convenient place for a holding tank is to the side of the most accessible place for a seacock so there has to be an almost horizontal section of pipe to join them. Rodding with a proper flexible rod can help and where I have been able to persuade a colleague to go into the water then rodding from underneath will often clear the blockage but I’ve never know it work from top. The quickest way by far is just to take the pipe off after getting ready for the deluge.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Alas not in my experience. Many of the big manufacturers make boats where the most convenient place for a holding tank is to the side of the most accessible place for a seacock so there has to be an almost horizontal section of pipe to join them. Rodding with a proper flexible rod can help and where I have been able to persuade a colleague to go into the water then rodding from underneath will often clear the blockage but I’ve never know it work from top. The quickest way by far is just to take the pipe off after getting ready for the deluge.
Sooner you than me 😁 :eek:

Tranona

Visit site
That is a very poor arrangement and breaks all the "rules" for gravity holding tanks.

This gives you an idea how it should be installed tek-tanks.com/plastic-tanks/series-a-tanks/series-a-vertical-waste/

The waste goes out of the loo into the top of the tank and exits at the bottom to an outlet under water. When the seacock is closed the waste is held in the tank and when open it drains and you can then pump straight through. At the top of the tank is a spigot that will take a hose to a standard deck pumpout and crucially a large vent overboard. There is no need for an antisyphon in the outlet before the tank as the vent does that job as well.

Generally fool proof although still prone to blockages of the outlet particularly if the tank is left with waste in the tank. I have had 3 boats with this type of system and always drained the tank at sea then flushed through with fresh water before leaving the boat.

Hope this helps.

RupertW

Visit site
Sooner you than me 😁 :eek:
Just makes me glad that our holding tank has a pump to pump it out and a changeover valve to pump straight to ocean when it’s not in use.
You would end up with a similar problem surely if it’s blocked? Our own boat is gravity fed and has never blocked unless somebidy has put paper down it which has happened twice in 10 years. But I’ve a lot of experience with other boats where people do use holding tanks and paper.