I've got tiny pins

Seakindly

Beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Visit site
Soldering/connection tips welcome. Inherited working Nasa DSC35 VHF and discovered no GPS cable connected or provided. Fortunately have also old, working Garmin GPS with cable to repeater that works. I don't need the repeater so can reroute that cable to provide NMEA to the radio via an 8 pin socket-plug. NASA don't supply cables or plugs but CPC components do provide the relevant diy plug.

So far so good. With help of legacy wiring diagrams I know which wire is which, so hopeful - then I saw the size of the pins on the back of the cable plug. Tiny and close together.

How the heck do you connect those really fine little cables to those really tiny and crowded pins? I can solder or crimp 12v stuff for example but short of buying magnification kit, how is it done? All ideas welcome.:cool:

Yngmar

Visit site
Most of those connectors come without the pins, which you buy separate, solder them onto the wires (often there's a crimp version as well) and only then shove them into the holes in the connector, where they typically click into place permanently. Some very fancy ones (Bulgin Buccaneer) even have removal tools.

So if you can identify the connector, that may be a way to do it. Otherwise, get a fine soldering iron, a enhanced vocabulary of swearwords and get to work, working from the center outwards.

One of those "helping hands" with the magnifying glass is definitely helpful.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Otherwise, get a fine soldering iron, a enhanced vocabulary of swearwords and get to work, working from the center outwards.

One of those "helping hands" with the magnifying glass is definitely helpful.

Consider also fixing the soldering iron on place and bringing the connector (and wire) to the pins, rather than fixing the connector and handling the soldering iron (and wire). Presumably the connector is shorter than the soldering iron and you will be able to more accurately manoeuvre it and hold out in place against the iron.