It's 5pm on the last day here at Earls Court

Visit site
It\'s 5pm on the last day here at Earls Court

Looking around it is hard to come to terms with the fact that this is the last time I will ever be in this hall.

MEMORIES, MEMORIES. MY FAMILY GREW UP COMING ON THE ANNUAL PILGRIMAGE HERE & my father used to bring me here before that to interminable Motor Shows.

End of an era - well it will be in 53 minutes.

So good bye from the LIBS as we know it for the last time

Steve Cronin

(If YBW bought some decent keyboards I wouldn't have had to attempt this three times and there wouldn't be so many typos!!)

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: It\'s 5pm on the last day here at Earls Court

I felt the same when I went with my wife yesterday. Our 2 now grown up daughters always looked forward to going to EBS . We've been taking them since they were born . The memories came flooding back yesterday when we were about to head for home .

BrendanS

Visit site

Maybe LIBS will return to Earls Court in a few years time, not all are happy about the move.

NigeCh

Visit site
Plus ca change, plus c\'est la meme chose

I first went to what was then known as 'The Boat Show' in the 60's. I didn't manage to make the last at Earls Court as my right leg is wrapped up in plaster. But I don't regret not going. And I won't be going to the Excel Show next year .... Mid winter London Shows have gone well beyond their sell by date .... even Soton is pushing it by appearing towards the end of the sailing season.

Times, they are a'changing ... and both LIBS and SIBS are both old and passim sort of relics lurching around aimlessly, just like the RYA, without taking cognisance of what's changing and what happening out there .... Big Blue, IMO, is yesterday even if tomorrow's 2004 yesterday is at Excel.

I won't mourn Earls Court passing ---- It (and SIBS) were at least 4 years ago replaced by both the Net and PBO, YM and ST monthly's adverts.

NigeCh

Visit site
Plus ca change, plus c\'est la meme chose

I first went to what was then known as 'The Boat Show' in the 60's. I didn't manage to make the last at Earls Court as my right leg is wrapped up in plaster. But I don't regret not going. And I won't be going to the Excel Show next year .... Mid winter London Shows have gone well beyond their sell by date .... even Soton is pushing it by appearing towards the end of the sailing season.

Times, they are a'changing ... and both LIBS and SIBS are both old and passim sort of relics lurching around aimlessly, just like the RYA, without taking cognisance of what's changing and what happening out there .... Big Blue, IMO, is yesterday even if tomorrow's 2004 yesterday is at Excel.

I won't mourn Earls Court passing ---- It (and SIBS) were at least 4 years ago replaced by both the Net and PBO, YM and ST monthly adverts.

Badger

Visit site
Re: Plus ca change, plus c\'est la meme chose

Nige, Did you ever stop to think that it might be you that is a sort of relic lurching around aimlessly rather than the boat shows. Sorry but your postings get more miserable by the day. Hope your leg get's better soon.

snowleopard

Visit site

first went when the boat show was a corner of the motor show. am i a sad old b****** or what?

max_power

Visit site

Feels a bit like your favourite anchorage in a river being turned into a marina.

Progress I suppose but you can't bury the memories. So get plenty of memories in now while you can. Lets hope it's a big improvement on the old.

By the way. Will boats that are 'floating' at Excel be in the open or covered ?

Seems it could be mighty raw out there at this time of the year.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Boats will be in the open if floating but you can expect most to be at the larger end. Over 40 floating boats booked with quite a bit of demand. Earls Court circa 59,000sq m and ExCel 80,000sq m so they'll be some expansion of existing stands (current exhibitors capped at circa 15 per cent expansion), some extras added and quite a bit of the extra space given over to features if current plans translate to reality.

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Steve,

Cannot resist telling you that I saw you start this post from my office over your shoulder. Bigger problem with our machines this time around was shiny blue paint versus optical mouse; noted for future. But keyboard? I managed quite a few thousand off an identical one without a glitch over past few days. Perhaps Mac versus PC thing?

Sad day today (sorry, now yesterday). Been to Earls Court as a visitor since early 1970s and exhibitor since mid-80s so understand some of the comments here.

For a few pics:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20030013003141mbynews.html>http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20030013003141mbynews.html</A>

Gunfleet

Visit site

<<Steve,

Cannot resist telling you that I saw you start this post from my office over your shoulder.>>
Wierd. Can you see over my shoulder too or do your x-ray eyes only work on Steve?
;-)

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Despite having often to answer fears regarding ybw.com's ability to spy on you all in this case the answer is simple...the machine Steve used was all of 3ft away from the window of my temporary office at the show. Blind was up, no one-way mirror trickery, just noticed him write the header.

Long para to confirm x-ray vision sadly not in my armoury (although a couple of years on forums and you do develop grumbly gut instinct and twitchy antennas /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

Visit site
Spotted you too but had decided to get a bottle...

...of scotch (well half anyway) out of JJ by subscribing for yet another year to YM so trotted off to talk to him before the long trek home.

Nice young lady you get squeezed into that cupboard with AND they pays you good money too I'll be bound! Ho Ho!!!!

The hardware was a bit plastic-ey for my tastes but if you got it for free??

Not a bad old show and did you see all that fre Jamesons upstairs?

Steve Cronin

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Re: Spotted you too but had decided to get a bottl

Sounds like we both made good calls...you got the bottle and I got the young lady. Well you wound up with JJ as well but we're not going there now! Did have venetian blinds on the office with emergency deployment procedure but not going into that either...

Anyhow, back to office where level 2 is 21 floors below me and there is no Jamiesons to be had . Ho hum.