It was very embarrassing ....

Visit site
... not to mention anxiety creating in one offering his new boat for charter.

Last two weeks spent in the Greek islands showed off one howlingly obvious inadequacy in the skills of otherwise excellent tidal waters seamen.

That is the almost complete lack of any idea when it comes to mooring up bows to or stern to as is the norm in the Med.

If you are chartering or even sailing your own boat in the Med this year then I would suggest that a few moments spent studying the art of mooring at right angles to the quay would be time well spent.

Even marinas are going to be set for this type of mooring but usually have laid lines to mooring blocks for the outward end of the boat and these have a pick-up line attached either to a buoy or to one of the quay side mooring points. Some particularly in Italy are now installing the American "Mooring Slip" with it's two outer mooring poles. Older quays in small harbours will require you to rely upon your own anchor and a windlass is essential on any boat over about 34ft.

First thing to do is assess wether it is best to go bows-to or stern-to. This will depend upon the depth at the quay - as you don't want to ground your rudder on the often present rock piling and ballasting in Med harbours - the orientation of existing boats - as you want to lie easily and not tangle spreaders - and the ease of manoeuvring as once you tether one end of your boat you are committed to carry on.

Wether you use your own anchor or an existing pick-up line determines the technique best followed. (Do not try to use an anchor in a buoyed marina as it will cause mayhem and it is probably prohibited anyway.)

If there is a line then you are best backing in stern (fender protected) first, securing the stern lines and then hooking up the pick-up line and have a crewman run it along the side deck to the bow where you pull up the heavy line and secure it to the cleat.

It there is only a buoy then you will need to pass a running line through this as you pass - on bigger boats this may require the use of the dinghy or backing the boat up to the buoy initially and doing it from the sugar scoop/bathing platform. A "Star Hook" or "Swift-tie" may be invaluable here but not provided on a charter boat.

If you need to use your anchor then the bower is always best as it can be more easily run out and recovered than the often inadequate kedge arrangements provided by charter operators. However if everyone else is bows-in then the depth at the quay is almost certainly inadequate and it means using the kedge. Some try to run the bower cable along the side but this is likely to cause all sorts of difficulty and probably a great deal of damage too.

When using the anchor the technique is different. Here you drop the hook FIRST but you will need to take great care in positioning it with regard to wind and existing crafts' tackle already down. If there is a wind blowing parallel to the quay then they will have set upwind or been carried downwind on the run in. Therefore you will need to take account of this. Try to picture from the visible rodes of your neighbours just where their hooks are and drop your between them. You may not always get this right but it saves embarrassment in the morning if you do. You will need to drop the hook about 4 boat lengths out and in deep harbours (like Simi in the Dodecanese) this can mean a lot of cable being run out.

Incidentally if you do foul your neighbour then he will probably pull your cable up to the surface and suspend it in a sling from his bow whilst he drops his hook back below it to free it. Be prepared to pull in a bit of cable after he has finished just in case he has dragged you a bit.

Hope the above is of help and my apologies to the experienced who will have found it "Grandma & eggish"

Steve Cronin

G

At the risk of annoying the IPC gods..

...John Goode has been running a series on this in Sailing Today for the past three or months. It covers all of the things that Steve has identified and there are pictures for those like me that find it difficult to visualise things.

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: At the risk of annoying the IPC gods..

I read The articles in ST with a vested interest as I had booked a weeks charter in Croatia , never having sailed in the Med before. Trouble is reading an article and actually doing it for yourself are world's apart. I actually learned bucketfuls more by simply watching everybody having a go. Mind you it still didn't stop me making a total Charlie of myself. As a general rule of thumb I found that if you enter a marina with the lazy line system then you can go stern to, but going against a town quay then it's safer to use a stern anchor and go bows to. I quite liked the lazy line system for the simple reason that I didn't have to wrestle with a stern anchor on a boat that wasn't set up for it.

G

You carry on with the egg suckin instruction mate. Having seen the cock up that some of the professionals make when demonstraiting this manouver (including a particular feature writer in the MBY) I don't think that there are any of us that couldn't do with the tips. Power to your elbow (or the winch).

chrisc

Visit site
If it's any consolation ,,,mooring bows on is the norm in Sweden ,BUT there is still plenty of amusement to be had by getting into harbour early (and making ones own c***-ups) and watching all the chaos as every one else comes in.
practice does not always make perfect.

Boatman

Visit site
Talking of c***k-ups. I have to admit the mooring bows to can always be at the least interesting, a great many years ago on a Greek charter fortnight managed a number of eye catching maneuvers one of which remains vividly in my mind. Moored bows to in Hydra third boat out from the quay the other 2 charter boats left in the morning duly passing the first one's kedge to me at about 11 a huge fishing trawler comes in drops anchor and we then proceed to leave 1st one is pulling the kedge in then two, then three, then four. The crowds are lining the quay to watch this monstrous demonstration of strength, meanwhile the crew of the trawler are peering over the side wondering when their anchor is going to appear. After what seemed like 20 mins the kedge appears with the largest tractor tire I have ever seen attached along with all the rocks it can contain. At that precise moment crew number five appears and says hold it lads I want a holiday photo, four broken backs, a wet camera, a soggy crew member and a very amused crowd we finally left harbour.

tomg

Visit site
Steve, Do I remember correctly that this is your first year with your boat permanently moored in the Med? If so, I would be very interested to hear how you like the arrangement and, in due course, the pros and cons of having the boat in wonderful cruising grounds but so far away. I am considering a similar move but cannot yet get over the need for 'nearness' and particularly for the ability to nip down to Ocean Village for a day-sail if I really get the urge. Regards, Tom