It looks like the outright RTW record is under threat...

sarabande

Visit site
Somehow that does not look right when on foils. I guess they are expanding the performance envelope slowly but I would expect a greater ride height to avoid sudden contact with wave tops.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la voile :)

flaming

Visit site
Somehow that does not look right when on foils. I guess they are expanding the performance envelope slowly but I would expect a greater ride height to avoid sudden contact with wave tops.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la voile :)

I'm wondering if the foiling is more for the Atlantic stretches where the winds are relatively light and the seas relatively smooth. As this is now probably the easiest way to bring the overall time down now.

sarabande

Visit site
Hmmm, wondering about the far ocean stages where wavelength and height are substantial even for a 100ft tri. Can one 'opt out' of foils and revert to displacement/planing ? I'm thinking of hammering along and advancing downwards on the front of a giant wave, the sort that causes keel boats like mine to surge and tip over. Or is the boat committed to living on foils whenever the relative wind is say above 10 kts or so ?

flaming

Visit site
Hmmm, wondering about the far ocean stages where wavelength and height are substantial even for a 100ft tri. Can one 'opt out' of foils and revert to displacement/planing ? I'm thinking of hammering along and advancing downwards on the front of a giant wave, the sort that causes keel boats like mine to surge and tip over. Or is the boat committed to living on foils whenever the relative wind is say above 10 kts or so ?

I think they can opt out of foiling, by adjusting the angle of attack so that the foil doesn't give lift.

However, one interview I read was indicating that they may take a very different approach to the weather than previous attempts as the highest average speeds will actually be in lower windspeeds and flat water when they can really crank the thing up.