Is there a reason to register a hand held DSC VHF to the boat rather than on its own?

DipperToo

Visit site
I just registered my new DSC radio separately to the boat with its own MMSI.
This way, I can take the radio on any other boat and if there is need to use the DSC for emergency reasons, they will not be looking for the associated vessel?
If this is incorrect I am sure someone will pop up with a better reason for or against?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
This is probably a silly question, but I thought I would ask, in case I am missing something.

You cannot have a DSC handheld on the ship radio license, it has to be a DSC handheld license to get the MMSI number.

You could then add a handheld VHF to the ship radio license, but there would be no provision to enter the MMSI number. It might be useful, as others have mentioned, for visiting abroad.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I just registered my new DSC radio separately to the boat with its own MMSI.
This way, I can take the radio on any other boat and if there is need to use the DSC for emergency reasons, they will not be looking for the associated vessel?
If this is incorrect I am sure someone will pop up with a better reason for or against?

You are correct, this is why it's not possible to add a DSC handheld to the ship radio license.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Thank you.

I have an "old" ICOM 23 (non-DSC) as well.I actually understand that one. I can see the sense in owning two radios for eg working up the mast, It would be nice to have two DSC ones if outside cellphone coverage but that seems a bit exotic because if outside cell coverage one is probably far enough away from other vessels to be safe on "low".

Last edited:
Visit site
To clarify, the handheld DSC must have its own MMSI. Do not program with vessel MMSI.

Also the geographical area where it's officially permitted to use the DSC part of a HH DSC radio is restricted, although that wouldn't bother me if I needed it. Hopefully on the Ofcom website.
Some popular cruising areas of the more corrupt, money-grabbing banana-republic type might make an issue of it and demand fines, worth looking into perhaps.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
FWIW, if you plan to go abroad, the portable MMSI number is not valid outside UK territorial waters, whatever that means.

Technically, I would also check the additional dsc functions: we use the portable vhf for dsc position reports, better see if your fixed dsc vhf radio can manage position reports with its own mmsi or if it accepts them from a different mmsi number.

rszemeti

Visit site
I can see the sense in owning two radios for eg working up the mast ...

In my humble opinion, the very best thing you can add to a vessel, especially if there are just two of you and yelling from one end of the vessel trying to communicate effectively with someone at the other end is becoming tiresome .. is not another radio, but a pair of hands-free bluetooth headsets ...

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks Vic

Not sure if I agree with this example

Yes. In response to approaches from both users and manufacturers, we have made arrangements to authorise the use of some hand held VHF DSC in UK territorial sea - this means within 12 nautical miles of low tide or, for example, half-way across the English Channel to France.

for me half way to France is 50 miles offshore!

eddystone

Visit site
For clarification, I understand the the MMSI number on a H/H DSC VHF is out valid outside UK but is voice only use of H/H VHF registered with Ofcom illegal in French or Irish waters?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
In my humble opinion, the very best thing you can add to a vessel, especially if there are just two of you and yelling from one end of the vessel trying to communicate effectively with someone at the other end is becoming tiresome .. is not another radio, but a pair of hands-free bluetooth headsets ...

Please excuse the silly question, but how does that work? As I understand it, it would have to be Class 1 to get from foredeck or masthead to cockpit, and that's less common.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
For clarification, I understand the the MMSI number on a H/H DSC VHF is out valid outside UK but is voice only use of H/H VHF registered with Ofcom illegal in French or Irish waters?

Well this thread has brought up all the same questions had when I bought mine..! What I now understand is this:

1. Teh Ofcom licence for h/g DSC is valid in UK waters and up to 12m offshore
2. H/H licensed via adding to Ships licence (as non-DSC) covers voice use on your boat, anywhere