Is she practical? if so why?

LiamS

Visit site
Just looking at this months mag and an article on the Hollandia Goldbank.She appears to be a lovely craft.Question.....Is a boat that can do 9.5 knts practical in British waters?How long would a 100 mile passage take?Bearing this in mind.....Is it a good idea to make the outside steering position the main one?I am thinking that any long passage will involve overnights and the whole purpose of having engines versus sail was that these overnights could be spent inside away from the elements.Am I missing something great?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: 9-knot boat

If you plan extensive voyages (although praps this isn't the place to say it) it would seem better to have a sailboat or at least a motorsailer that at least offers free travel at 6-7 knots. A 9-knot (if that's the maxium, say 7 knots cruise ) motorboat is surely best an inland craft, small quiet engine, big accomodation and a low draft to sneak under bridges.

<hr width=100% size=1>

trev

Visit site
I would consider this type of craft as pactical mainly for inland or sheltered use with the occassional longer sea trip between cruising areas once in a while. But then I'm one of those types who find long, boring, tiring passages a chore rather than a pleasure - I know there are some who enjoy this.

<hr width=100% size=1>Trev

pheran

Visit site
Two years ago we did Holland to Dieppe in one hit. Fourteen hours non-stop and at the end of the trip I never ever wanted to hear the sound of a diesel engine again! But that was a one-off. Nothing wrong with cruising at displacement speeds, in fact its more comfortable, but you do need the time to break the journey up into shorter legs.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>They are also very good on Golf Courses because that is the time they don't roll too much - when on a lawn.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: agree entirley

at sea 9 knots you might as well drop a few knots and save on the fuel bills.
any 40' + yact will motor flat out at 6plus
just remember to deploy your cone

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>