Is it this easy?

Wardy

Visit site
So the time has come, the kids are old enough to look after themselves, the house is being sold as I write and we've seen a Colvic Watson that suits our purpose to live aboard.

But... So many questions!

The broker says... when we take over the boat we can just sail out to sea, no experience necessary (and by the sound of it, no brains).
Now, I intend to do a fair bit of work prior to sailing, learn as much about Nav, charts, radar etc; learn how the boat handles before taking to sea, know that my vessel is up to the job and my wife and I can confidently manage her.

What else should I be considering?

Considering we would like to live on the Caledonian Canal as near to Banavie as possible (I still have to work) does anyone know of any moorings that take live-aboards? And if there aren't any, where do you lay up?

Loads more questions to follow I'm sure!

Wardy

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
there are liveaboards in the muirtown basin. other possible places are the caley marina and the one near urqhart castle. why not contact the british waterways office at muirtown?

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
I agree with Chris having had my boat in Muirton Basin before heading south. If you go to the office at the basin and ask for Mike Lofts. He is my brother-in-law so if you meet him tell him he will not get anymore holidays in Spain unless he sorts you a berth.
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benbow

Visit site
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, and apologies if I am misreading this, but I feel I should ask, if you have no experience, how do you know this is the boat for you ?

I would advise that you gain your experience on other people's boats. There are lots of alternative ways of doing things and people form strong personal opinions on what they want from a boat. I suspect that most people, myself included, wish they had postponed their first boat purchase. I know the irrational emotions that can take-over when you decide this is the boat for you!

<hr width=100% size=1>

pragmatist

Visit site
Don't be depressing ! Never bought a boat in my life without it being a huge emotional leap. But we didn't even test sail our current dream - if you do enough reading of reviews and mags then class boats are easy enough to classify. Isnt it a Colvic Watson that Colin & Rita Jones enjoy - and write a lot about ?

Glad to hear about the options in the Caledonian - still trying to get back there with our own boat after loving chartering there. Even got good mobile signal which helps the work/leisure balance.

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK

mikewilkes

Visit site
Just re-read your first post. The west coast of scot has some fantastic sailing but the weather is crap in comparison to where we are now. There again it is either full on motoring or part motor sailing or none at all here. But at least you can sit in the cockpit at the end of the day having a cheap G & T.
Mike covers your end of the Caley Canal so give him a call. Cant remeber his mobile number off hand but the office will probably give it to you.
If you are keeping your car and carrying on working then you could move up the canal a wee bit.
Best of luck and enjoy yourselves. Just take your time and be safe.
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Wardy

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies regarding Live-aboard, I think the information about Muirtown will come in very useful... almost a bit of an incentive too as part of my family's name is Muir... Maybe it's a sign!

Cheers

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>