is it safe????

gonfishing

Visit site
just popping my head over the parapit,to see if the coast is clear.??.... have a question i would like to ask........ O.K
i have now spent the best part of 2 wks travelling and looking at boats (at this rate all savings will be spent ) have found some nice boats that i have been told would be suitable for coastal work around Swansea & Bristol channel ,but the engine size and relative performance have varied tremendously from 40hp inboard diesel to much larger twin petrol engines all on boats around 23o27ft, all i would like is something around the size mentioned ,that will be capable of 12/14 knots cruising,
realistically what sort of engine size should i be aiming for ? and what sort of hull? displacement hull is out i know, so what do you all think?

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gonfishing on 22/02/2003 22:29 (server time).</FONT></P>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
At those sort of speeds I guess you're looking at semi displacement, Aquastar/Aquabell 27' with a 150+HP engine, diesel of course.

Could go for a planing hull, huge choice, but the Bristol Channel can and does chop up very quickly, would feel much happier in a semi displacement.

<hr width=100% size=1>

lanason

Visit site
I would go for twins - not less that 100hp each - ideally inboard diesels ..... but then the they would be heavy and really you ned to be nearer 30 than 20 foot .... IMHO and FWIW......

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>More Pics of Kelisha</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

gonfishing

Visit site
i agree have already been caught in 5/6 squall in a 14 ft heavy displacement boat with 20hp o/b capable of 8knts on the helwick banks whilst fishing not a nice journey to safety especially round oxwich point!! hence my QQQQ

<hr width=100% size=1>

whisper

Visit site
How much do you want to spend?
What is the smallest boat that would be acceptable?
What do you want to use it for?
Sorry, no answers will be forthcoming until you've replied to these questions.

<hr width=100% size=1>