Irrational Fear of In-Mast Furling?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Well, I've ordered in-mast and a blade jib on my new boat, with laminate sails which may compensate somewhat for the shortcomings of sail shape. Convenience, infinite options on main size, ease of operation etc all in the "yes please" box. Last weekend's experience of crabbing forward, clipped on, whilst putting the third reef into a slab reef on a 34'er in a stiff breeze tells me that no matter the performance loss of in-mast I have made the right decision.

I'll let you know how I get on.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
What a nice change to see a balanced post.
Indeed, the objectivity was refreshing, thank you Dockhead.

I think the other condition where this kind of system is useful is where mainsail hoisting (or indeed any deck work) becomes a challenge due to age, or infirmity.
And here's the rub with my in-boom system, which, in my subjective opinion, is superior to in-mast in all aspects other than sail raising. So much so that yesterday it took me to the mast winch rather than where I have always managed before, from the cockpit.

Of course, I refuse to acknowledge it has anything to do with my 82 years on this earth as it was always so from installation some eight years before. Should I, perhaps, consider one of those electric winch handles ... but, phew, what a price.

doug748

Visit site
And here's the rub with my in-boom system, which, in my subjective opinion, is superior to in-mast in all aspects other than sail raising. So much so that yesterday it took me to the mast winch rather than where I have always managed before, from the cockpit.

Of course, I refuse to acknowledge it has anything to do with my 82 years on this earth as it was always so from installation some eight years before. Should I, perhaps, consider one of those electric winch handles ... but, phew, what a price.

In boom is probably where the future lies, despite some disadvantages compared to keeping the main in the mast.

Tom Cunliffe is a convert:

http://www.tomcunliffe.com/toms-top-gear/

Of course he has electric winches; they frighten me to death on a boat.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I've had a good laugh with Tom about this as we pretty mcuh met on the same road to Damascus.

The only downside of a boat I started sailing about 10 years ago, was it didn't have slab reefing but has an 'abomination' that was an in-boom furler. The only reason it wasn't immediately taken off and binned was because its mainsail was almost new. We thought we might as well get some use out of that.

When the boat was sold recently and decade later, the only thing about it we missed, was the in-boom furler. Just the best bit of sail handling kit ever invented. Limitless reefs, easy to use, perfect sail shape, controllable from the cockpit without too many lines, one second job to put the sail cover on, etc, etc.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
In boom is probably where the future lies, despite some disadvantages compared to keeping the main in the mast.

Tom Cunliffe is a convert:

http://www.tomcunliffe.com/toms-top-gear/

Of course he has electric winches; they frighten me to death on a boat.

As many say, 'if it's good enough for St. Tom, ...' But he has one of the best, Leisure Furl, and I suspect his condemnation of lessor brands may include my Profurl system.

However, after a number of teething problems that I lay at the sailmaker/installer's lack of experience all those years ago, it now performs well.

The principle is quite popular here in Italy - especially by the German owners in my marina.