Irrational Fear of In-Mast Furling?

ip485

Visit site
Correct - get the boom angle right.

On some types (the IPs for example) the system is pretty tolerant because the slot is wide, there is plenty of room in the mast, and the main is not that large (relatively speaking). As someone said earlier not only have the systems got better, but anything modified needs looking at with care.

NormanS

Visit site
I'm not at all sure why the attitude (presumably height) of the boom should be important, since the sail is not directly attached to the boom. I can only speak for my own, where it is loose-footed, and the clew has a sheave through which runs the double purchase outhaul. Other systems may be exist where the height matters, but it makes no difference with mine.

rotrax

Visit site
I'm not at all sure why the attitude (presumably height) of the boom should be important, since the sail is not directly attached to the boom. I can only speak for my own, where it is loose-footed, and the clew has a sheave through which runs the double purchase outhaul. Other systems may be exist where the height matters, but it makes no difference with mine.

Exactly! as I loosen the outhaul while furling/reefing the mainsail finds its own level and winds up nicely.

As ip485 states, the Island Packet system is pretty foolproof as IP's tend to have a modest rig, so plenty of room in the mast for the sail.

I'm really looking forward to this season-our sails have just come back from a tune up at Elvestroms and we have new vertical battens.

Bring it on!

ip485

Visit site
Rotrax - I suspect and hope you will love the vertical battens - it makes a big difference.

Actually with the height of the boom mine also has the outhaul attached to a car and block that runs on the boom and is therefore loose footed. However when I have adjusted the boom height using the hydraulic strutt, I have found the sail tended to crease more. This could just be because the delivery angle has changed although thinking about it I cant see why this would make a difference. It is not something however I have really experimented with because I know the angle I set the boom at and if it has changed for any reason tend to set it roughly in the same position and everything has always been fine.

Saguday

Visit site
I'm really looking forward to this season-our sails have just come back from a tune up at Elvestroms and we have new vertical battens.

Bring it on!

I've long tbought about vertical batterns and adding more roach but been too nervous to try iit. Wondered if it increases risk of jamming when furled.

Very interested to know more, and see some pics if you get chance to post some.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I think it is significant that although for a while the major charter companies had in mast furling for a while on most of their boats all the Moorings new monohulls and cats come with slab reefing.

BTW At age 69 I cruise a 44 ft cutter in the West Indies and manage just fine with slab reefing on the main although I do love my roller furling genoa.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I've never used a in mast furler, I just don't like the idea. They probably function well most of the time but I just don't want to run the risk of it ever jamming. I could live with in boom, as I could still drop the sail with a jammed furler.
I don't go for single line reefing either
:dread:

NormanS

Visit site
I've never used a in mast furler, I just don't like the idea. They probably function well most of the time but I just don't want to run the risk of it ever jamming. I could live with in boom, as I could still drop the sail with a jammed furler.

As suggested by the OP. Irrational. :D

ip485

Visit site
It is a fair point, but with an "open" foot I can flatten the main significantly and move the centre of effort well forward, notwithstanding "prefectly" tuning the amount of sail to the wind, so I have plenty of techniques available to make that up wind sail a little more comfortable and efficient. It may not be perfect, but then again I am not going to be sitting on the rail for hours at end either, and, hopefully I dont need to get there an hour or two earlier.

rotrax

Visit site
I've long tbought about vertical batterns and adding more roach but been too nervous to try iit. Wondered if it increases risk of jamming when furled.

Very interested to know more, and see some pics if you get chance to post some.

I'll see what I can do.

Our SP Cruiser has the OE, but little used sails without much roach.

They had batten pockets but they were empty.

We are coming your way on our way to Cork next month-I'll PM you-you can see for yourself perhaps.

alant

Visit site
Rotrax - I suspect and hope you will love the vertical battens - it makes a big difference.

Actually with the height of the boom mine also has the outhaul attached to a car and block that runs on the boom and is therefore loose footed. However when I have adjusted the boom height using the hydraulic strutt, I have found the sail tended to crease more. This could just be because the delivery angle has changed although thinking about it I cant see why this would make a difference. It is not something however I have really experimented with because I know the angle I set the boom at and if it has changed for any reason tend to set it roughly in the same position and everything has always been fine.

Exactly.
The position (height) of the boom, can make or break easy furling.
I remember encountering it on an Oyster in the Med. The owner would not let the boom down far enough, because it rubbed on the sprayhood & he couldn't understand why furling became a struggle. Whilst in Palma, he got the local Hood Sails 'expert' to check the system over, they found no fault, which was entirely due to the boom position.

Tranona

Visit site

Well you should, and then you will appreciate the benefits. Someone of your experience will have no difficulty in learning how to use it properly - and it won't jam.

Just like oysters (the shell fish kind) nobody seems to like them until they try and then can't get enough.

Saguday

Visit site
I'll see what I can do.

Our SP Cruiser has the OE, but little used sails without much roach.

They had batten pockets but they were empty.

We are coming your way on our way to Cork next month-I'll PM you-you can see for yourself perhaps.

Interesting - I don't believe there are any batten pockets on ours, must be an SP thing. Did you get Elvstrom to make a new sail is it a mod to the original?

Yes, do let me know when you're close by, would be good to meet up.

rotrax

Visit site
Interesting - I don't believe there are any batten pockets on ours, must be an SP thing. Did you get Elvstrom to make a new sail is it a mod to the original?

Yes, do let me know when you're close by, would be good to meet up.

The sails are IP OE equipment. They have IIRC two short battens which cant be removed without unstitching or cutting the pocket and 4 long battens which are held in with velcro strips. The are fairly short, just over 2 metres, not full length. Elvestrom at Hamble checked and serviced them and fitted a UV triangle on the main-the sails were never removed by the previous owner and both UV strips were badly stained by airborne pollution. Elvestrom supplied the missing battens also.

As the previous owner did not use her much-only 500 hrs on the engine in 7 years-the sails are in really god condition and set well.

Surprisingly, the bigger heavier SP Cruiser sails better in light winds than our previous 350, probably because the sails are in much better condition.

I'll be in touch when we head West.