Irish RNLI ?

deborahann

Visit site
and IOM RNLI, lived in the IOM overlooking the sea for 2-3 years, never saw any rescue service. We've moved the boat from Plymouth, having had to be rescued by the RNLI a couple of years ago, now going to Ireland etc., are there good rescue services. Is it like the AA, should we join somthing ?

Frontier

Visit site
Its the same in Ireland, Lifeboat stations all over and well supported.

station-ireland.png

More here Click

Good luck

D

deborahann

Visit site
just did a search and saw that myself, totally amazed its so like the UK. Have to ask, not being political, but how does Ireland get to calling their rescue services "RNLI".

westernsailor

Visit site
There is at least one thing you set up well while ye were over here.

This is respect.

Thank God I have not had to use theie service, however I do contribute to the excellant service on offer.

PilotWolf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
just did a search and saw that myself, totally amazed its so like the UK. Have to ask, not being political, but how does Ireland get to calling their rescue services "RNLI".

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is a troll or not...

The RNLI is a charity - they provide SAR where needed within the UK and outside the UK (flood and incident response), it is not Ireland's rescue service its a rescue service which operates within Ireland, the same as it operates within the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Fortunately politics (in a government sense) do not enter into it.
W.

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
IOM ? of course !! , Douglas is number one station where it all began with Sir William Hillary, the very first RNLI station, so contrary to popular belief it was not a British institution but started by the Manx .

Kawasaki

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
IOM ? of course !! , Douglas is number one station where it all began with Sir William Hillary, the very first RNLI station, so contrary to popular belief it was not a British institution but started by the Manx .

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I never!
Didn,t know that Nautical.
Debs, are You worried cos I serviced MF's engines? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AndieMac

Visit site
Don't worry Searush, us poor old colonials are all going to head back to the homeland one day.
How much room have you got?

They say the weather is nice this time of the year! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kawasaki

Visit site
There is no room at all.
The weather is absolutely awfull all the Year round.
Bloody ell mate, you aint seen Searush in real life.

Stay in the Bush mate. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AndieMac

Visit site
You haven't got much to fear, we couldn't afford to live there.

Exchanging Aussie dollars for pounds, well you might as well be using monopoly money.

Jokes aside, you folks have got what appears to be a well organised recreational boating culture. You probably feel its over regulated, but the average plonker is pretty well educated with manditory training, before they hit the water.

The lifeboat rescue service is also something to admire.

Life doesn't appear to be that bad in the homeland.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Yes Debora, there is a fairly good setup here, with an extensive RNLI network who work closely with IRCG who also have a fleet of inshore lifeboats and Air cover provided by Sikorskey SN-61 CG heli's. VHF ch16 access normal, and CG announce sea area forecasts at 3mins past the hour every 3 hours starting at 01:00am. Indeed the RNLI is called the RNLI in Ireland as it is the same organisation and a registered charity manned by volunteers. The Irish CG CU inshore lifeboats are also volunteer manned, but the hardware is state funded unlike the RNLI. The IRCG is state funded as is the MRCC (national marine rescue co-ordination centre). The RNLI provide the bulk of the floating assets around the entire coast. Being an island nation with a commercial fishing heritage, there is a legacy of support for same.

IRCG Helis cover the coast and inland. Shannon CG Heli over Lough Derg
DSCF6121.JPG

IRCG CU inshore lifeboat
DSCF6180.JPG

RNLI Lough Derg life boat and Killaloe CG
DSCF5269.JPG

RNLI Fenit Life boat dealing with cruiser fire on SW coast
Fire7.JPG

In this incident back in 2005 there were two inshore life boats, a CG heli and RNLI Severn class on scene very quickly - they have plenty of rescue assets available. (old blog on it here Boat fire Irish SW coast)

mickey1

www.thewhelpingbox.350.com
Dont know how the south get to call it RNLI but the north is still part of the uk, my husbands family all worked on the Lifeboat in Newcastle county down for years all grandfathers etc until a fallout and court case 4 years ago.

alt

Visit site
Who cares what its called? Whats important is that there's a good network of brave volunteers willing to go out and help save lives at sea (and inland too). It can be called "Squiddily Diddily" for all I care, though that would make VHF transmissions interesting /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
[ QUOTE ]
Dont know how the south get to call it RNLI ..

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The same way the RDS (Royal Dublin Society) is still called the RDS! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The RNLI predates independance and folk are mature enough in roi not to be fussed about the R part of the RNLI. RNLI means the voluntary life boat service end of story. What's in a name. It's like everybody calling a vacum cleaner a "hover". A great bunch of guys and gals whatever they are called.

mickey1

www.thewhelpingbox.350.com
They do a great job was at the harbour on saturday and there was a shout, took some pics and will download them later, Whats in a name?
they do a good job volenteers, all out to save lives.

deborahann

Visit site
well I've been corrected now by hlb, him indoors. I thought RNLI was royal navy lifeboat institution. I didn't realise it was a worldwide charity, just confused about some of Ireland having use of the royal navy name. I'll get my hat and leave.

Glad to see after Kwackers servicing the engines, it all looks like a dam good rescue service.