IOW festival, mooring up the river medina?

Blinking

Visit site
Hi all,

Last year we went to the IOW fesitval, we noticed on the other side of the fence, quite near the stage the river with quite a few boats moored up. All the boat owners were sitting on the banks having a picnic enjoying the concert.

Does anyone know exactly where this is, and how to get there, or if we need to book mooring?

Altho we enjoyed the festival last year, it was a bit full on and would like to have a more relaxing time, soaking in the atmosphere.

EddieA

Lives: Richmond, West London. Boat: Southsea Marin
Visit site
No need to book, but the available anchorages do get busy. Follow the Medina past the Folly and Island Harbour. You get 2 hours either side of HW to get down to Newport. Beware, it dries out and if your anchored on the side of the channel you can end up sleeping at a very awkward angle! Suggest you stay on your boat and watch the festival, if you go ashore the only way back to your boat when its finished is through lots of deep smelly mud /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif(

l'escargot

Visit site
018076_18a04e5d.jpg

This was 2005 and is about half tide, the boats are just drying out. The channel is betweem the raft on the left and the single boat on the right. At low water it is about ankle deep and is the same all the way to Newport - you would not be able to take a dinghy up at low water. I think high water is about tea time the festival weekend so if you stayed for the evening you would be there for the night.

l'escargot

Visit site
Newport Town Quay, drying pontoons. Time depends on what you draw, if it is about a metre, you have roughly 2 hours before and 3 hours after high water. I'll stick a couple more photos up later if you want (I have been relegated to the laptop at the moment so that daughter can play the Sims).

The pubs in Newport aren't up to much - a Yates, a Chicago Rock and a few other nondescript places. The Bargemans isn't bad, the Railway just round the corner is a little local, then around the High Street there is only the Castle (about the best) the George and the Wheatsheaf I wouldn't bother with the Medina Quay. Personally I think the pubs in Cowes are better, I live in Newport but go to Cowes if I want a few drinks.

Blinking

Visit site
"I'll stick a couple more photos up later if you want (I have been relegated to the laptop at the moment so that daughter can play the Sims)."

Lol! Yes more photos would be good please!

I appreciate what you mean about Newport, but we're just after the festival atmosphere (plus we have a few 'singles' who want to mingle!) and looking for a bit more excitment than Cowes.

chippysmith

www.activedesign.org.uk
I am taking across a couple of friends for "Bestival". I probably won't be able to get much further than the Folly. What would be your recommendation for transport to and from?

Sorry for the loose hijack but thought it relevant to the thread /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

l'escargot

Visit site
Right, regained control of the desktop now.

Aerial shot of the festival, top of the photo is south. Newport Quay just out of shot top right of the picture, you can see the boats anchored upper right, almost low tide. The boats just in the very top right corner are at Odessa Marine.

6gvzom0.jpg

This was the view of the stage, but last year they put a hospitality tent along this side which restricted it a bit

4tawv1t.jpg

Looking south at Newport Quay from Odessa at high water

4m8hto7.jpg

Similar shot at low water

6bmnq6a.jpg

and looking back from the quay towards Odessa

6g9upf8.jpg

and finally another aerial shot with the quay bottom left and Odessa bottom right

4pa1cp4.jpg

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
No need for a bus or taxi (not sure you'd get one anyway during the festival), its only a 15 minute walk from Island Harbour to the festival site. You used to be able to walk down the river path which was shorter, but last couple of years there was no entry from the river path so you need to walk up to the road.

l'escargot

Visit site
Quite probably, bilge keelers sink reasonably well into the mud. Just make sure you are either in the channnel or out as the sides slope and you could find your are at an angle. The softer mud is just out of the channel.

Blinking

Visit site
Excellent photos lescargot! How did you get the aerial shots?

From your photies, it looks like the banks will be very muddy, so no soaking up the sun on the banks then? Do we literally have to stay on the boat?