Ionian Flotilla advice

beancounter

Visit site
Hi Tom,

don't let the trepidation level rise too far. Like you, we weren't very experienced when we did our first flotilla last year. We had a great time, despite some technical problems with the boat (unspeakable trouble with the heads/holding tank!). We loved it so much that we are going back, on the Terra Mare flotilla in June. Herewith a few thoughts:

1) Spartahori is on our "must visit again" list. The steep climb from the pontoon to the village is worth the effort for the magnificent views over the islands. Kalamos was also enjoyable.

2) At both the above, locals will help you to tie up to the pontoon/quay. They will then smile and point to their taverna....

3) As others have said, getting a copy of Rod Heikells Ionian guide in advance is a good idea. We also invested in the Imray chart for the Inland Sea before we left, which we found useful in giving us a general orientation before we arrived, and in formulating options for our free sailing.

4) If in doubt, ask the lead crew.

5) We did have some crowded moorings, but our flotilla skipper (an Aussie - inevitably) always managed to squeeze us in. The first time you are reversing several tons of boat towards a concrete wall, into a gap that barely looks big enough for a Topper, you will discover new meanings of the word "adrenaline". It gets better after that...

6) The outboard option for the tender is a good idea. We didn't have one last year, and regretted it (certainly the Memsahib did, when she was trying to paddle a couple of hefty teenages back to the boat...).

7) Above all, enjoy it!!

cheers

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Rod Heikell

I mostly agree. Though holding at anchor isn't great in spartahori close in, with gravelly seabed.

But um although they dish out rod heikell Ionian guides, I'm afraid I don't rate them very much, although they are of course better than nothing. He's obviously been there. But it seems he may have stayed about half an hour in some places. I did raise this with the flot leader and they aargh couldn't imagine somebody criticising the man who had written their Bible. Crappy unscalled sketches, few clues/transits about how to get places in the dark, minimal guidance to shore services etc etc with a load of historical padding out of other guide books, it seems. The RH Ionian guide is easily the worst pilot to any area I have ever visited. imho.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

i have to agree in part with your criticism. I have just taken delivery of the latest ionian RH. I had expected to be glued to it every night once the various boat mags had been read by midmonth.

I have to say i do find it lacking for me. however as a first timer on a flot planning lunch stops and nights away i found it totally invaluable. a real comfort blanket, which i think is its major role. the historic bits are something to read whilst travelling to and fro.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Visit site
Where\'s your sense of adventure?

Isn't that what cruising under sail is all about.

Rod Heikell has done a great deal of work on guides in Greek waters and I wouldn't be without them. I consider your choice of phrase like "crappy" entirely unjustified.

Rod is perfectly willing to invite suggestions and will reply as soon as he is able.

"Shore Services" What do you mean? Things like where to get the bread in Guiskardo for example?

Go ashore and root around. You'll learn more about the place that way and discover the real Greece. I wandered off down a road in Nidri and found a stainless steel fabricator who made me a couple of replacements for the rowlock swivels (crappy plastic) and only wanted to charge me 2 Euros! On the walk back I found a great place to eat - off the flotilla trail.

Heikell IMO gives just about the right amount of info to keep you out of trouble. He manages to suggest which are the good and not so good whilst subtly avoiding upsetting the locals.

Go to Greece and enjoy. Leave the uptightedness of urban life behind you and when you lock the boat at night to go ashore remember that only visitors do that, the Greeks leave the key to rust on a nail behind the door (like your grandparents did here long ago).

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

beancounter

Visit site

I understand your comments, but would still recommend the book to a first-timer. Some of your concerns are valid, but not necessarily applicable on a flotilla e.g. night sailing is unlikely to be encouraged. Overall it gives you good basic info, which can and should be supplemented when on the spot.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: sense of adventure?

I thought this might ruffle a few, as it did elsewhere.

I have lots of sense of adventure - but that shouldn't be tested by a fact-free pilot. I mean, saying "where's you sense of adventure?" is similar to complaining about a boat and the salesman says well, can't you swim? Or complinaing about a restaurant meal and the manager says you need to lose weight anyway. Or complaining about rubbish TV and the producer says that we should be out in the fresh air.

I am sure RH is a very nice guy.

But some guides don't stand comparison with others he has written, and sadly none compare with some far cheaper indigenous alternatives with tons of more accurate info and not so much history-lite for which a straight non-saily guidebook would match or beat. But there seem to be no others in the Ionian so RH it is.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

There is a very good pilot book writen by a Capt N Ellios Detaled charts lots of history very much better than RH,imho cheers bob t

<hr width=100% size=1>boss1

Gunfleet

Visit site

<<Crappy unscalled sketches, few clues/transits about how to get places in the dark, minimal guidance to shore services >> Maybe the flotilla people never went anywhere in the dark. Reminds me of my insurance company, who tried to sneak in a clause about 'no single handed sailing in the hours of darkness.' I sail on the East coast of England - what do you think I'm going to do, sez I, restrict my sailing to June?

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
I seem to remember that theres some very shallow water just south of Vounaki right out in the middle of nowhere, apart from that the waters very deep (anchored up one night in 40' and just 2 boat lengths from the shore. We had a wonderful time.
We explored and found a really quiet bay the day before we had our "free sailing", stocked up the boat with food, drink and most importantly ice then headed off found our bay, anchored and had the best couple of days swimming and drinking and just relaxing, it was great.
You asked for tips so here goes.
Dont take to many useless clothes (shorts, trunks,"T" shirts, sailing gloves and you've more or less cracked it)

Buy(or take with you) those little candle "night lights" for lighting in the cockpit.

Use old beer cans as night light holders, cut tin in half, and bend over top edge.

If you get plagued by wasps make your own wasp traps by using 3 plastic 2 litre bottles, to do this take 2 bottles and cut the top off just as the neck gets to the main diameter (about 3" down) then cut 2 crosses in the other bottle, 1 up high, 1 about 4" up from the bottom insert the neck of the cut bottles into the cross cut, you should now have what looks like a bottle with 2 funnels sticking out, place some jam and coke in the bottom and hang the whole lot from some place in the down wind rigging. Works a treat<s>

Always keep the ice topped up.

Watch your fresh water tank levels. Some Taverna's let you have free water if you use them, otherwise you will have to pay for it.

If it's hot drink plenty of water, not only beer and wine?

Finally, have a great time, don't beat yourself up about all this stern to berthing mullarky, you'll get the hang of it very quickly and the lead boat crew will always help berth the boat. On our last flotilla hol there was 2 crews that had never been in a boat before and they managed it (after a fashion). Don't worry have a good time.
All the best

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site

A good book indeed Bob but for a general & wide coverage, updated yearly, Heikell IMO is more suited to the occasional visitor.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>