Inverter choice

Gwylan

Visit site
The use of laptop seems to mean we need some 240v on board.

At times that seems to means a inverter. Seems to be a wide range of prices! Probably quality too.

What experience, wisdom can people offer? What size, obviously pure sine but more than that I do not know.

Tranona

Visit site
Alternative is to get a 12v charger which comes with tip plugs for most lap tops. Preferably hard wire it into the house circuit with a 15A fuse and leave the lap top battery out so that you are only powering the machine, not charging the battery. Least drain on your boat batteries.

Poecheng

Visit site
I got Ring inverter off Ebay. Secondhand. Metal ribbed box with a cigarette lead at one end and a switched mains plug the other. THink it is 500W rated - whatever it is, it is not much power. Cheap.
I use it to run/charge Macbook Pro without any problems at all.
Metal box has sharp edges so thin strips of gaffer tape line the edges.
No complaints but I rarely use it. If I need one regularly I would probably treat myself to a nice Victron one - similar smallish box.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I bought the cheapest I could find on Ebay as we rarely need one on board. It worked OK but failed entirely after we left it connected to the batteries for some time. I bought another and now disconnect it every time. 600 watts, with spring clips to battery terminals. We have been using it for a vacuum packer, which it can cope with but the clips to the terminals need to be as good as possible.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
We've got two on board, both on switched supplies to the battery. On is a 150 watt Ring, used for laptops, printers, drill batteries and the like. The other is a Maplin 1000 watt, bought because we thought we'd need one before we set off.... The only thing it's used for these days is the odd occasion when SWMBO takes it into her head that something just has to be ironed.

www.bavariayacht.info
It's a Sony SGPT 114 GB/S. I understand it needs 10.5v dc, 2.9A. Its charging socket is a slot with four contacts, and a spring retaining catch at each end.

While I applaud Sony for moving away from the disastrous micro USB, using a proprietary plug is even worse. Getting the right voltage and current down the lead is no problem, but there may be other signals to consider. I'd suggest asking on a Sony forum.