Intruder on boat in Culatra

Heckler

Visit site
Mate of mine, known to a few on here, reports that he heard that someone was woken up and found a fisherman on board. Any one else heard owt?

greeny

Visit site
Not caught one onboard but have woken to strange noises in the night to find a small fishing boat alongside messing about. His excuse was that his net had fouled my boat and he was untangling it. Needless to say I waited up until he went which wasn't very long and he didn't seem to do much untangling although he did have a net out that i could see. This wasn't in the main anchorage but further up near the main entrance at Ferrol. Earlier this year, begining of June time.

Yngmar

Visit site
Exactly what greeny describes, in late April this year, except he did actually have a line stuck in our rudder. Was a small open fishing boat with a shoddily self-built GRP arch on the back, which was coated in something dark green.

He did free his line from our boat by cutting it in half, giving me one end to hold on to, pulling the other out and then fetching the rest back from me. We've seen him a few nights before, fishing all around us.

We eventually figured out he was fishing around us because the light from our deck flood was attracting fish around our boat (we leave the light on at night to make us visible - masthead lights being so useless).

After fouling his line, he kept some more distance the following nights. I don't think he was up to anything nefarious, although it's easy to get these ideas in the dark of night.

GHA

Visit site
. I don't think he was up to anything nefarious, although it's easy to get these ideas in the dark of night.
In Cultra they often fish in the anchorage at night, lay weighted nets then go around banging on their hull presumably to scare the fish into the net. Least they are decent enough not to get annoyed with us parking in their back yard for free :cool:
Local word is kids from the cruisers nicking petrol is the most likely crime you'll come across.
Considering the very low income for so many in Portugal the low crime in the algarve is a good indication of how honest most of the people are.

Last edited: