Interesting Garmin 751 issue

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Just as a warning to others here rather than anything else...

Last Tuesday (1st Sept) we went up the Thames to Limehouse, and on approaching the lock, there were loads of AIS alarms going off, so I decided to do the quick thing and turn the plotter off. When safely moored, I remembered I hadn't made my final log entry and so switched the plotter back on. It went to the stage of "Loading Maps" and promptly switched itself off again, and continued to do so every time I tried. Having to leave Limehouse on Friday, I decided to place a call to Garmin (who were very helpful) and their Marine device man told me that he'd had two other instances that day and that he'd get back to me, which he did to say that he'd taken a similar device from stock and that it was doing the same thing.

Without going into the whole palaver of taking the train home to get my old GPS as a temp fix, I got a call back the following morning saying that the other devices were now OK and to try mine - which now worked!

Apparently there is/was a software glitch triggered by a certain Date/Time...

Keep eyes open for a software update I reckon....

Keith-i

Visit site
A bit late for the millenium bug! Interestingly something similar has occurred to me in the past when the Garmin plotter software reset itself to 1 Jan 1999 or some such like. Without realising it I looked at the tide times on it and planned my trip accordingly. It was only when I approached my mooring and the tide was lower than expected that I realised what had happened. By coincidence the tide times for 1/1/99 were very similar to the day of my trip so nothing looked out of the ordinary at the time. A later Garmin update fixed the problem.

Pye_End

Visit site
Interesting. Was out the same day and my 556 completely froze around midday. Never happened before. Turned it off and on at the 'mains' and it was fine. If related, hopefully a one off.

richardbrennan

Visit site
I wonder if this anything remotely to do with the problem I have on my Garmin 5012. As previously reported, it no longer will load tide information if the remote GPS is switched on, but will load at the time and date when it was previously switched off if the GPS is not powered up. I also phoned Garmin who were helpful and suggested loading the latest software update but this has made no difference.

Keith-i

Visit site
I wonder if this anything remotely to do with the problem I have on my Garmin 5012. As previously reported, it no longer will load tide information if the remote GPS is switched on, but will load at the time and date when it was previously switched off if the GPS is not powered up. I also phoned Garmin who were helpful and suggested loading the latest software update but this has made no difference.

I wonder if forcing a reboot of the GPS might help. On the GPS you can usually force it to forget it's approximate location in the world and get fresh almanac data.

richardbrennan

Visit site
Dear Keith

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem appears to be with the plotter rather than the GPS; all other functions are working normally such as position to the DSC radio and radar, also the position and celestial data on the plotter are functioning normally, it's just the tides and currents that are giving a problem.

Richard