Installing cupboard doors in the aft cabin

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I'm about to build a set of shelves in the aft cabin. Today I've been getting everything right using a "square", spirit level, marking pen and tape measure but I was disappointed with the amount of space for shelving.

But I quickly realized that instead of installing the doors vertically if I installed the hinged doors on a lean I would gain a lot more space. The doors would follow the curvature of the hull which means the bottom of the door would be closer to me. (I will be using over center latches to secure the doors in rough weather)

Am I overlooking anything?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Have you considered sliding doors with a lock to lock the 2 dores against each other.

My galley cupboards have shaped sliding doors

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Have you considered sliding doors with a lock to lock the 2 dores against each other.

My galley cupboards have shaped sliding doors
Thank you for that.

I have sliding doors on my galley cupboards above sink and hinged doors below.

The cupboard in the aft cabin is tall and relatively narrow so I don't think it is suited to sliding doors.

Since nobody has put forward a reason why they must be installed vertically I will go ahead with my plan to install (slightly) sloping doors. (y)

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Unless you open them beyond 90 degrees they will try to shut so need holding open when trying to get at anything. Perhaps a minor inconvenience but may need a way to keep them open, gas struts maybe.
Great minds think alike! I'm thinking along those lines too.

After being hit on the head by the wind blown lazarette hatch I think a gas strut is a good idea.

I'm going to order a pair of these.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...vid=202306030243302168562717305500008262613_2